• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Fuchsia Dunlop's "The Land of Fish and Rice"

Chris Hennes

Cat's ears (p. 266)

This is a chicken stock soup with chicken, ham, bamboo, dried shiitake, and peas (which I substituted with fresh garbanzos since I had them). The "cat's ears" pasta is made as part of the recipe, and is time consuming but also pretty entertaining if you enjoy making homemade pastas. Unlike most of Dunlop's other recipes which tend to make enough for 2-3, this makes quite a large amount of soup. The recipe says "4-6 as part of a Chinese meal", but I think you could easily serve 8 if you had a few other courses. I served it as a main dish in big bowls and still had enough for 3-4.

DSC_3091.jpg

DSC_3097.jpg

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)
  • Like 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

image.jpeg

Chicken with Young (middle-aged?) Ginger and Quick Cucumber Salad. The salad was underwhelming. 

image.jpeg

Nanjing Saltwater Duck. Well worth making. She calls for legs and breasts but I would go for just breasts next time. The accompaniments are not from the book. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog