• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some good shopping today.

Although we get huge daikon radishes year round, red ones are rare. Maybe once a year. Sometimes bite sized; sometimes this size, as found today.

radish.jpg

Also, for the first time ever, I found raspberries in China! I've been waiting 20+ years.

rasps.jpg

ANDI found the first spinach of the season.

So, dinner was dry-fried beef with radish and green onion. Beef marinated in soy sauce, osmanthus wine, garlic, chilli flakes (a lot) and cumin. Simple wilted spinach with salt. Rice.

dinner.jpg

Then I made cranachan*, that wonderful Scottish dessert of whipped cream, toasted oats, whisky and honey. It looked pretty and tasted wonderful, but every picture I took looked a total mess. So no pic.

*I would link to the relevant Wikipedia article but it is garbage.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Although we get huge daikon radishes year round, red ones are rare. Maybe once a year. Sometimes bite sized; sometimes this size, as found today.

radish.jpg

Also, for the first time ever, I found raspberries in China! I've been waiting 20+ years.

rasps.jpg

So, dinner was dry-fried beef with radish and green onion. Beef marinated in soy sauce, osmanthus wine, garlic, chilli flakes (a lot) and cumin. Simple wilted spinach with salt. Rice.

dinner.jpg

Then I made cranachan*, that wonderful Scottish dessert of whipped cream, toasted oats, whisky and honey. It looked pretty and tasted wonderful, but every picture I took looked a total mess. So no pic.

I would link to the relevant Wikipedia article but it is garbage.

liuzhou

liuzhou

radish.jpg

Also, for the first time ever, I found raspberries in China! I've been waiting 20+years.

rasps.jpg

dinner.jpg

I would link to the relevant Wikipedia article but it is garbage.