• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I like beans.  I saw your dish of beans and greens and thought it looked great - assuming I had some crusty bread to go with it.  I'm not sure I could come up with anything better so I don't imagine I will change your mind :)

That said, bean dips or spreads - hummus and the like - come to mind.  I would certainly start a bean hater on Heidi Swanson's white bean spread with rosemary and toasted almonds.  I love the way the garlic and rosemary are warmed gently with the oil to impart flavor but are strained out to avoid bitterness.

Continuing on the white bean theme, I've had a number of bean haters try and and come back for seconds of white bean and pesto crostini.  Toast some rustic bread, rub with a garlic clove, top with white beans tossed with pesto and either drizzle with olive oil or sprinkle with grated parm and broil or toast to melt.  

Some people who don't like a dish full of beans will go for them in a salad. The Christmas lima, beet and quinoa salad from Rancho Gordo's cookbook is really good, with or without the avocado.

Finally, the black bean seems to be a gateway bean for many.   The black bean chili from the Greens cookbook is so, so flavorful and can be served as a soup, a spread or smashed onto a quesadilla or crusty bread.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I like beans.  I saw your dish of beans and greens and thought it looked great - assuming I had some crusty bread to go with it - so I'm not sure I could come up with anything better so I don't imagine I will change your mind :)

That said, bean dips or spreads - hummus and the like - come to mind.  I would certainly start a bean hater on Heidi Swanson's white bean spread with rosemary and toasted almonds.  I love the way the garlic and rosemary are warmed gently with the oil to impart flavor but are strained out to avoid bitterness.

Continuing on the white bean theme, I've had a number of bean haters try and and come back for seconds of white bean and pesto crostini.  Toast some rustic bread, rub with a garlic clove, top with white beans tossed with pesto and either drizzle with olive oil or sprinkle with grated parm and broil or toast to melt.  

Some people who don't like a dish full of beans will go for them in a salad. The Christmas lima, beet and quinoa salad from Rancho Gordo's cookbook is really good, with or without the avocado.

Finally, the black bean seems to be a gateway bean for many.   The black bean chili from the Greens cookbook is so, so flavorful and can be served as a soup, a spread or smashed onto a quesadilla or crusty bread.