• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

changed "Iran" to "Iraq"

I made a quiche out of the leftover hickory smoked ham steak, cheddar, a small piece of mozzarella I needed to use, spinach and a little finely minced white onion. I spiced the custard (2% milk) with a little ground clove, black pepper and cayenne. We had a few halved and seeded muscadine grapes on the side.

I preceded this with a Greek salad of sorts. I had picked up some more French Valbreso sheep's milk feta from the mediterranean store. I know I said I did not endorse it anymore because the last batch was so gamy to me. It had been my favorite for so long, I gave it another shot, and this batch is fine. I like to serve this on whole Romaine leaves with the cheese crumbled down the central spine of the leaf. I also put tomato, cucumber and whole mushrooms on my plate. I pick up the whole leaf roll it around the cheese, and eat it out of hand. My husband was tearing his into bits, and making a mess. During the eating, I had an idea. On the last leaf, I rolled the end toward the core as usual almost to the halfway point. Then I folded the top and more flexible half of the leaf down over the top of the roll at the other end, leaving enough of the tip of the leaf to fold down over the end where the leaf was torn off the core. Then I rolled the sides of the leaf over that, and voila, a lettuce wrap with feta filling that is completely enclosed, looks like a green eggroll, and can be eaten easily and neatly! Next time I make these, I'm sneaking some other veggies into the filling of my husband's too, and I think he will eat and enjoy his green "eggrolls".

When I asked him if he wanted the additional veggies he said no, so I told him that it would be healthier for him. He said he thought the feta was healthy, and asked for Ranch dressing with it. After rolling my eyes, still facing my kitchen task, I turned to him and I informed him that feta is a cheese and therefore high in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. I ignored the request for Ranch, and after he started eating, he agreed that it didn't need it. He has a stent, so I have to go into stealth veggie mode frequently. I think this "eggroll" idea will work like a charm. :D

Edit: I totally forgot about the Samoon bread that I served with the Greek salad. We split one of the small loaves that I had wrapped in foil and heated in the oven for about 10 minutes or so while the quiche baked. I thought they were pide because of the Turkish pideler served at Bosphorus restaurant here, but I was wrong. They come from Baghdad Bakery, but are resold for a small markup at my Mediterranean store. I think the guy that owns the store might be from Iraq, because years ago, he was always tuned to a radio station that covered the war closely whenever I shopped there.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

I made a quiche out of the leftover hickory smoked ham steak, cheddar, a small piece of mozzarella I needed to use, spinach and a little finely minced white onion. I spiced the custard (2% milk) with a little ground clove, black pepper and cayenne. We had a few halved and seeded muscadine grapes on the side.

I preceded this with a Greek salad of sorts. I had picked up some more French Valbreso sheep's milk feta from the mediterranean store. I know I said I did not endorse it anymore because the last batch was so gamy to me. It had been my favorite for so long, I gave it another shot, and this batch is fine. I like to serve this on whole Romaine leaves with the cheese crumbled down the central spine of the leaf. I also put tomato, cucumber and whole mushrooms on my plate. I pick up the whole leaf roll it around the cheese, and eat it out of hand. My husband was tearing his into bits, and making a mess. During the eating, I had an idea. On the last leaf, I rolled the end toward the core as usual almost to the halfway point. Then I folded the top and more flexible half of the leaf down over the top of the roll at the other end, leaving enough of the tip of the leaf to fold down over the end where the leaf was torn off the core. Then I rolled the sides of the leaf over that, and voila, a lettuce wrap with feta filling that is completely enclosed, looks like a green eggroll, and can be eaten easily and neatly! Next time I make these, I'm sneaking some other veggies into the filling of my husband's too, and I think he will eat and enjoy his green "eggrolls".

When I asked him if he wanted the additional veggies he said no, so I told him that it would be healthier for him. He said he thought the feta was healthy, and asked for Ranch dressing with it. After rolling my eyes, still facing my kitchen task, I turned to him and I informed him that feta is a cheese and therefore high in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. I ignored the request for Ranch, and after he started eating, he agreed that it didn't need it. He has a stent, so I have to go into stealth veggie mode frequently. I think this "eggroll" idea will work like a charm. :D

Edit: I totally forgot about the Samoon bread that I served with the Greek salad. We split one of the small loaves that I had wrapped in foil and heated in the oven for about 10 minutes or so while the quiche baked. I thought they were pide because of the Turkish pideler served at Bosphorus restaurant here, but I was wrong. They come from Baghdad Bakery, but are resold for a small markup at my Mediterranean store. I think the guy that owns the store might be from Iran, because years ago, he was always tuned to a radio station that covered the war closely whenever I shopped there.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Edit: I totally forgot about the Samoon bread that I served with the Greek salad. We split one of the small loaves that I had wrapped in foil and heated in the oven for about 10 minutes or so while the quiche baked. I thought they were pide because of the Turkish pideler served at Bosphorus restaurant here, but I was wrong. They come from Baghdad Bakery, but are resold for a small markup at my Mediterranean store. I think the guy that owns the store might be from Iran, because years ago, he was always tuned to a radio station that covered the war closely whenever I shopped there.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes