• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, csingley said:

Today I tried steam-broiling the rest of my asparagus.  Even preheating the oven, with the cooking tray on the middle position I was unable to get any color on them by the time the asparagus softened.  I let some of it go until it did brown, by which time it was savagely overcooked (almost 20 min for medium-thick asparagi; mushy and green color gone to grey-brown).  A completely failed result.  I will try again with the rack up in the high position, so the asparagi are as close to the heat as possible - but perhaps the heating elements simply aren't powerful enough for this application.  I'll also try straight convection broiling asparagus for a control... it's possible the higher thermal conductivity of the steam is undesirable, and I really need to retard cooking the interior until the skin's had a chance to blister.

Consider trying steam-bake instead of steam broil for your asparagus so they'll get heat from both top and bottom. I was happy with texture and flavor I got from asparagus cooked that way.  Generally ~ 10 min  steam-bake @ 425 F, no preheat for skinny spears, a bit longer for fat ones. 

I was going for good roasted flavor, there was some browning but I wasn't specifically looking for a lot of char, so it may not be what you want.  I was impressed that I was able to get a nice roast on the skinny spears without turning them into jerky xD!

edited to add:  you can see the "color" or lack thereof on skinny spears in this post

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, csingley said:

Today I tried steam-broiling the rest of my asparagus.  Even preheating the oven, with the cooking tray on the middle position I was unable to get any color on them by the time the asparagus softened.  I let some of it go until it did brown, by which time it was savagely overcooked (almost 20 min for medium-thick asparagi; mushy and green color gone to grey-brown).  A completely failed result.  I will try again with the rack up in the high position, so the asparagi are as close to the heat as possible - but perhaps the heating elements simply aren't powerful enough for this application.  I'll also try straight convection broiling asparagus for a control... it's possible the higher thermal conductivity of the steam is undesirable, and I really need to retard cooking the interior until the skin's had a chance to blister.

Consider trying steam-bake instead of steam broil for your asparagus so they'll get heat from both top and bottom. I was happy with texture and flavor I got from asparagus cooked that way.  Generally ~ 10 min  steam-bake @ 425 F, no preheat for skinny spears, a bit longer for fat ones. 

I was going for good roasted flavor, there was some browning but I wasn't specifically looking for a lot of char, so it may not be what you want.  I was impressed that I was able to get a nice roast on the skinny spears without turning them into jerky xD!