• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

to fix typo

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

A little more about that tortilla, please. I was thinking along those lines with my latest, wildly unrealistic (because of time constraints) haul from a couple of farmers' markets today.  Slice the potatoes thinly, of course.  Remind me, please: do they need to be softened, say, in the microwave before layering? I'm planning to add chorizo (Mexican) to the layer. Bake the whole shebang at, what, 375F? 

I'm not trying to take a turn here but I like the idea of stealing an idea or two.  :-)

The recipes I've seen and used call for slicing the potatoes thinly, and parboiling for a few moments to soften before layering in a skillet with whatever other ingredients. Then beaten eggs are poured over all and it's cooked like an omelet, lifting the edges with a spatula as the edges set to let the liquid center flow underneath. Eventually it's turned out onto a plate inverted over it and slid back in to the skillet to brown the topside.

It always gives me anxiety attacks when I try to make it, but Lord, I do love it when it turns out well.

kayb

kayb

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

A little more about that tortilla, please. I was thinking along those lines with my latest, wildly unrealistic (because of time constraints) haul from a couple of farmers' markets today.  Slice the potatoes thinly, of course.  Remind me, please: do they need to be softened, say, in the microwave before layering? I'm planning to add chorizo (Mexican) to the layer. Bake the whole shebang at, what, 375F? 

I'm not trying to take a turn here but I like the idea of stealing an idea or two.  :-)

The recipes I've seen and used call for slicing the potatoes thinly, and parboiling for a few moments to soften before layering in a skillet with whatever other ingredients. Then beaten aggs are poured over all and it's cooked like an omelet, lifting the edges with a spatula as the edges set to let the liquid center flow underneath. Eventually it's turned out onto a plate inverted over it and slid back in to the skillet to brown the topside.

It always gives me anxiety attacks when I try to make it, but Lord, I do love it when it turns out well.