• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Tere

Estonian solstice food

Recently I entertained an Estonian friend who comes every year to celebrate Solstice, as he has no family in the UK. We drink, burn a bonfire and I cook him some Estonian specialties.

What is always on the menu is Shashlik, which is a very traditional food this time of year. I had a disaster with a different recipe being WAY too salty last year, so this year I tried eGullet member Pille's recipe from her Nami-Nami blog. http://nami-nami.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/estonian-shashlik-recipe.html.  I didn't use as much salt and pepper as I was worried about the previous year's issues, and I think I could have used more vinegar than she recommends (or perhaps a stronger vinegar, I used white wine but maybe I should have gone with malt vinegar). Nevertheless, it was good. I cooked it on the Kamado Joe which worked well.

Ready for the 24 hours in the fridge to marinade

IMG_7076 (640x480).jpg

Ready to grill

IMG_7079 (640x480).jpg

Finished product:

IMG_7083 (640x480).jpg

To go with, I made rosolje, a potato / apple / beet / dill pickle (!) / herring (!!) / pork sausage (!!!) salad that is often used for celebratory meals or on a buffet spread. I used this recipe as an initial inspiration http://estoniancooking.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/rosolje-beet-and-potato-salad.html. It sounds strange but eats very well. 

Ingredients:

IMG_7080 (640x480).jpg

Prepped rosolje before sour cream. I added some more dill from the garden because I didn't think the pickles were "dilly" enough. I also used small skin on waxy new potatoes. Floury potatoes disintegrate a bit and give a mealy texture which isn't nice (I learned this the hard way).

IMG_7081 (640x480).jpg

Finished product, enough for a couple of meals. It keeps well for a few days.

IMG_7082 (640x480).jpg

And here is a terrible photo of the final dish. Served with cider for him and Pimm's and lemonade for me. Happy summer! :)

IMG_7084 (640x480).jpg

I also baked him some bread - the Estonian recipes took too much time so I ended up using the Guardian's recipe from here http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/03/quick-rye-bread-recipe and a little bit of the not done starter. It seemed to bake well but I haven't had any feedback on how it tastes since he took the whole loaf home with him. have a picture of the starter :)

IMG_7074 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Tere (log)
  • Like 13

Wow that meal looks great and amazing. I don't think I had ever eaten an Estonian meal. I am sure he feels lucky to have some really great friends that are so considerate. :)

Sign in to follow this