• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. Trying to avoid hints of smugness, though!

After years of trying, I think I finally made a mushroom soup that doesn't look like a muddy swamp harbouring evil creatures from the deep.

Soaked some dried cèpes, chopped them with some regular button mushrooms and some "king oyster (eryngii)" mushrooms and sweated them in olive oil with garlic and shallots. Added a chopped green chilli. Then the strained soaking water from the cèpes (topped up a little). Seasoned and cooked till the mushrooms were soft then blitzed in the processor. A nice, spicy, thick soup with a deep mushroom flavour. 

Served with home made olive bread.

mushroom soup3.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. Trying to avoid hints of smugness, though!

After years of trying, I think I finally made a mushroom soup that doesn't look like a muddy swamp harbouring evil creatures from the deep.

Soaked some dried cèpes, chopped them with some regular button mushrooms and some "king oyster (eryngii)" mushrooms and sweated them with garlic and shallots. Added a chopped green chilli. Then the strained soaking water from the cèpes (topped up a little). Cooked till the mushrooms were soft then blitzed in the processor. A nice, spicy, thick soup with a deep mushroom flavour. 

Served with home made olive bread.

mushroom soup3.jpg