• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Brilliant.  We have those little beauties regularly at our grocery store.  Do you bake them in a hot oven?

I'm always worried that they won't soften enough, so I bake them covered for the first half. If baked to long with no cover, the skin might get tough. (20-30 minutes, tightly covered with foil at medium heat, then another 15 minutes under a gentle broiler).

This being said, I have baked them uncovered in the past, and usually they softened fast enough. 30min at 220C (430F) should be good using this method.

They are based served with labaneh (add roasted pine nuts to gild the lily), or tahini sauce.

shain

shain

Brilliant.  We have those little beauties regularly at our grocery store.  Do you bake them in a hot oven?

I'm always worried that they won't be soften enough, so I bake them covered for the first half. If baked to long with no cover, the skin might get tough. (20 minutes, tightly covered with foil, then another 15 minutes under a gentle broiler)

This being said, I have baked them uncovered in the past, and usually they softened fast enough. 30min at 220C (430F) should be good using this method.

They are based served with labaneh (add roasted pine nuts to gild the lily), or tahini sauce.

shain

shain

I'm always worried that they won't be soften enough, so I bake them covered for the first half. If baked to long with no cover, the skin might get tough.

shain

shain

I'm always worried that they won't be soft enough, so I bake them covered for the first half. If baked to long with no cover, the skin might get tough.