• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

after thought

@Franci if you like the taste and results from Fleischmann's have you considered their instant yeast?  One time I tried SAF but I went back to Fleischmann's.  I buy it by the pound and it keeps nicely in the freezer.  Essentially forever.

I can't understand why a baker would want any other form of yeast than instant.*  Though the different strains of yeast from different manufacturers undoubtedly have subtle differences.  Could I tell in a blind tasting?  Not sure, probably not.

I'd be interested to know if Italy has a favored yeast purveyor other than SAF or Fleischmann's.  They are the only two brands with which I have experience.

*I'm not considering sourdough organisms here.

Edit:  I agree with @paulraphael (and Professor Calvel) that yeast taste is a defect.  When I make my batch of poolish I use less than an eighth teaspoon of instant yeast.  Sometimes I even bother to weigh it out.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

@Franci if you like the taste and results from Fleischmann's have you considered their instant yeast?  One time I tried SAF but I went back to Fleischmann's.  I buy it by the pound and it keeps nicely in the freezer.  Essentially forever.

I can't understand why a baker would want any other form of yeast than instant.*  Though the different strains of yeast from different manufacturers undoubtedly have subtle differences.  Could I tell in a blind tasting?  Not sure, probably not.

I'd be interested to know if Italy has a favored yeast purveyor other than SAF or Fleischmann's.  They are the only two brands with which I have experience.

*I'm not considering sourdough organisms here.