• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

I gather you are in Norway (from the google search address). It is possible that the "local Chinese restaurant" may have adapted some of the ingredients to what is available locally in that part of Norway where you are?  Your posted stuff that you tried did not include rice wine. Perhaps, if you can get your hands on Shaohsing wine, you might try that and see if it gets closer to what you seek? Or - ask the restaurant - nicely - next time - what they put into it?

"Tit Pan Ngau Yook" is a dish that I grew up with in SE Asia, and each restaurant had its own version of the sauce and dish; including cases where the dish would be brought out to you as a completed dish on the still-sizzling iron plate, and others where the components (partially cooked) were assembled on the table in front of you on the very hot platter and the sauce poured onto it in front of you. Could it be possible that this particular restaurant simply had its version that you have "fixed" your desires on, not necessarily what the dish in a general sense may have suggested in a general sense as components for its execution?

BTW - what was the "regionality" or dialect group of the chef (or owners) of that restaurant? (Cantonese, Szechuanese, etc) It might have some bearing on this.

huiray

huiray

I gather you are in Norway (from the google search address). It is possible that the "local Chinese restaurant" may have adapted some of the ingredients to what is available locally in that part of Norway where you are?  Your posted stuff that you tried did not include rice wine. Perhaps, if you can get your hands on Shaohsing wine, you might try that and see if it gets closer to what you seek? Or - ask the restaurant - nicely - next time - what they put into it?

"Tit Pan Ngau Yook" is a dish that I grew up with in SE Asia, and each restaurant had its own version of the sauce and dish; including cases where the dish would be brought out to you as a completed dish on the still-sizzling iron plate, and others where the components (partially cooked) were assembled on the table in front of you on the very hot platter and the sauce poured onto it in front of you. Could it be possible that this particular restaurant simply had its version that you have "fixed" your desires on, not necessarily what the dish in a general sense may have suggested in a general sense as components for its execution?