• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I IP'd  and CSB'd some country style ribs today at the same time.

most of the story is here :

for the IP  I used the same rub and chose 40 min  high press steam.  natural release.

I forgot to turn the 'warm' to 'off'  so but the time i figured that out, they had been in the IP for 30 ++++  minutes.  I rarely do natural realse.

I forgot to take a pic of the ribs when done.   they were very very tender and very much falling off the bone.   30 minutes next time with a note to turn off the warm

Pork IP glaze.jpg

here is what they looked like  sans bones, and steam - broiled in the CSB for 10 at 500 F.

this will be nice shredded in wraps tomorrow  etc.

the CSB time  was so close to the IP time,and with my error of both the total pressure time   ( I think 30 would have been better , with an 'Off' natural release )

the CSB  made a far more outstanding dish.

but  there was significant Operator Error with the IP

and I do think the steam function mattered quite a bit with the final result.    a dry oven with similar times would not have produced the same result.

you would have noticed some dryness in the Pork.

but if you don't have a CSB, and adjust time times in  the IP to your liking for tenderness,   IP'd would have been delicious too.

PS  I ran out of TJ's General Tao sauce   so the above pic would have been more impressive with more sauce before the Broil

and some touch-up sauce right after the broil for that Shine we all enjoy.

PPS  the IP had of course more 'jus'  as it started with 1 cup water.    It had good flavor.   I added that to the 1 cup you see above

will de- fat when cold and save and use as the 'broth' for some IP soup in the future.  it really was tasty, and pork-et  Yum.

rotuts

rotuts

for the IP  I used the same rub and chose 40 min  high press steam.  natural release.

I forgot to turn the 'warm' to 'off'  so but the time i figured that out, they had been in the IP for 30 ++++  minutes.  I rarely do natural realse.

I forgot to take a pic of the ribs when done.   they were very very tender and very much falling off the bone.   30 minutes next time with a note to turn off the warm

Pork IP glaze.jpg

here is what they looked like  sans bones, and steam - broiled in the CSB for 10 at 500 F.

the CSB time  was so close to the IP time,and with my error of both the total pressure time   ( I think 30 would have been better , with an 'Off' natural release )

and I do think the steam function mattered quite a bit with the final result.    a dry oven with similar times would not have produced the same result.

but if you don't have a CSB, and adjust time times in  the IP to your liking for tenderness,   IP'd would have been delicious too.

PS  I ran out of TJ's General Tao sauce   so the above pic would have been more impressive with more sauce before the Broil

and some touch-up sauce right after the broil for that Shine we all enjoy.

rotuts

rotuts

Pork IP glaze.jpg