• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Long Does It Take Your Electric Oven to Preheat to 350 Degrees?

gulfporter

25 minutes ago, boilsover said:

I preheat for an hour, too, if my pizza steel or ECI cocotte must be at temperature.  I probably wait for 10 minutes for preps where nothing extra needs preheat, e.g., just cookies on a sheet.

I guess electrical costs are cheap in your neighbourhood.

p

5 hours ago, palo said:

I guess electrical costs are cheap in your neighbourhood.

p

An electric oven might draw 4000 W.  Assuming 50% duty cycle (which is probably high) during the hour pre heat, that's 2000Whr, 2kWhr.  At my marginal cost of electricity that's about 12 cents.  Anything I put in the oven that would take an hour heat soak (bread, pizza) costs a lot more than 12 cents in ingredients, never mind my time. 

I actually have a gas oven, so my cost is something lower than that. 

My electricity costs are almost $200/month. I'm on a pension and I do what I can to be proactive in cutting back on expenses. I use my CSO or BSO rather than the full size oven for that reason as well.

btw regarding takeout pizza, nothing gets delivered out where I live except the mail and UPS lol

p

Edited by palo (log)