• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

I've been cooking up some Rancho Gordo beans also! I often cook a bunch and then freeze them in small portions so we can use them for quick meals later. Today was Domingo Rojo beans and they are lovely! 

I had some butternut squash and tomatoes that really needed to be used, and borrowed from a recipe for Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili from Simple Bites. This is hardly an original starting point, but I liked Aimée's seasonings and the maple syrup was not a bad addition. I subbed the squash for the sweet potato and skipped the cornmeal, but had some seasoned pumpkin seeds for topping.

Edited to add: I roasted the squash and then added it to the stew at the end, because I adore that roasted flavour. 

We have had such good luck with avocados lately. (This stands out, because we have had more than our fair share of crappy avocados!) Someone wrote a recipe about 'what to do with the green part of the avocado,' because it is so easy to find brown or black and bruised ones. But we have been trying to use up ones we bought for a song and they have been almost all beautiful and green and creamy, so we started with a super simple avocado, tomato and cucumber salad. And then this simple stew. 

IMGP5679.JPG.e899af53eddc1c5e4a8cdb02449

FauxPas

FauxPas

I've been cooking up some Rancho Gordo beans also! I often cook a bunch and then freeze them in small portions so we can use them for quick meals later. Today was Domingo Rojo beans and they are lovely! 

I had some butternut squash and tomatoes that really needed to be used, and borrowed from a recipe for Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili from Simple Bites. This is hardly an original starting point, but I liked Aimée's seasonings and the maple syrup was not a bad addition. I subbed the squash for the sweet potato and skipped the cornmeal, but had some seasoned pumpkin seeds for topping.

Edited to add: I roasted the squash and then added it to the stew at the end, because I adore that roasted flavour. 

We have had such good luck with avocados lately. Someone wrote a recipe about 'what to do with the green part of the avocado,' because it is so easy to find brown or black and bruised ones. But we have been trying to use up ones we bought for a song and they have been almost all beautiful and green and creamy, so we started with a super simple avocado, tomato and cucumber salad. And then this simple stew. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

We have had such good luck with avocados lately. Someone wrote a recipe about 'what to do with the green part of the avocado,' because it is so easy to find brown or black and bruised ones. But we have been trying to use up ones we bought for a song and they have been almost all beautiful and green and creamy, so we started with a super simple avocado, tomato and cucumber salad. And then this simple stew.