• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes, spuds into cold oil.  Just enough oil to cover the top.  We usually do 2-3 taters.  Put heat on medium.  Let taters just sit.  Do not stir them or they will break up.  The oil will start to simmer ....let taters be until they get slightly golden then turn heat up to medium high until they get crisp and brown.  I'm always doing other parts of dinner while these fry..  

Our go-to fries were from Pomme Frites in Manhattan (before their store burned). I tried so many times to replicate their fries with the two fry method, and have so many fry thermometers, you wouldn't believe it but just got so frustrated that I stopped trying. My fish and chips just became  fried fish and salad. I will try this out and hope for the best.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes, spuds into cold oil.  Just enough oil to cover the top.  We usually do 2-3 taters.  Put heat on medium.  Let taters just sit.  Do not stir them or they will break up.  The oil will start to simmer ....let taters be until they get slightly golden then turn heat up to medium high until they get crisp and brown.  I'm always doing other parts of dinner while these fry..  

Our go-to fries were from Pomme Fiites in Manhattan (before their store burned). I tried so many times to replicate their fries with the two fry method, and have so many fry thermometers, you wouldn't believe it but just got so frustrated that I stopped trying. My fish and chips just became  fried fish and salad. I will try this out and hope for the best.

HC