• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 3/25/2023 at 7:22 PM, sverreef said:

After a couple of ice cream free weeks because of a persistent cold, I made a blueberry ice cream based on the Chefsteps creme fraiche ice cream recipe I've had good results with earlier:

PXL_20230325_165734859.thumb.jpg.c4116e6e81cf0b3c1f1d6fc373b2bb7e.jpg

Both flavour an texture were fantastic!

I hope I've strayed enough from the original that it's OK to share the recipe here:

120g whole milk (3.5% fat)

68g glucose syrup DE40

45g sugar

1.1g locust bean gum

1 drop polysorbate 80

180g blueberry juice pressed from defrosted wild blueberries

7.5g skim milk powder

150g creme fraiche (35% fat)

2g citric acid

1.5g salt

Milk and sugars infused with 2.5g dried coriander seeds during hydration of the LBG. This was inspired by Stella Parks' comments on pairing blueberries with coriander seeds in her video about blueberry pie on Serious Eats. Can't say for sure if it had much of an impact on the flavour, and the amount used was just a guess, but it certainly didn't ruin the flavour. Coriander seeds were then strained before mixture was emulsified in the blender with the other ingredients.

Processed once on light ice cream + 1 respin in the Ninja Creami.

Served with white chocolate namelaka, crystalized/caramelized white chocolate and a few defrosted wild blueberries.

This looks good. I'm wondering how you're getting the locust bean gum to hydrate? Typically it needs to be cooked at a temperature that I'd be afraid would kill the fresh blueberry flavor.

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 3/25/2023 at 7:22 PM, sverreef said:

After a couple of ice cream free weeks because of a persistent cold, I made a blueberry ice cream based on the Chefsteps creme fraiche ice cream recipe I've had good results with earlier:

PXL_20230325_165734859.thumb.jpg.c4116e6e81cf0b3c1f1d6fc373b2bb7e.jpg

Both flavour an texture were fantastic!

I hope I've strayed enough from the original that it's OK to share the recipe here:

120g whole milk (3.5% fat)

68g glucose syrup DE40

45g sugar

1.1g locust bean gum

1 drop polysorbate 80

180g blueberry juice pressed from defrosted wild blueberries

7.5g skim milk powder

150g creme fraiche (35% fat)

2g citric acid

1.5g salt

Milk and sugars infused with 2.5g dried coriander seeds during hydration of the LBG. This was inspired by Stella Parks' comments on pairing blueberries with coriander seeds in her video about blueberry pie on Serious Eats. Can't say for sure if it had much of an impact on the flavour, and the amount used was just a guess, but it certainly didn't ruin the flavour. Coriander seeds were then strained before mixture was emulsified in the blender with the other ingredients.

Processed once on light ice cream + 1 respin in the Ninja Creami.

Served with white chocolate namelaka, crystalized/caramelized white chocolate and a few defrosted wild blueberries.

This looks good. I'm wondering how you're getting the locust bean gum to hydrate? Typically it needs to be cooked at a temperature that I'd be afraid would kill the blueberry flavor.