• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

IMG_4495.thumb.jpeg.d82041f2248a793ae7815fbaed4c15e1.jpeg

Back to my old fave; 2 scoops vanilla, Philadelphia-style. And lemon sorbet. Neither of these was fully hardened in the freezer; more like 2 or 3 hours at most.

The Whynter machine is much different than my old, beloved, passed on to a friend, Lello Gelato. The Lello, with its smaller bowl and perhaps more efficient freezer, froze stuff faster than the Whynter. And a bit more solidly, at least at the point where I think it's done.  But now I'm leaving the ice cream in the Whynter for at least 10 minutes after it's done spinning on its cold only function; seems to be a little easier to scoop out that way.

Both machines, by the way, are a bit of a pain in the ass to fully excise the ice cream from. Which means I spend time over the sink "cleaning" off the dasher!

weinoo

weinoo

IMG_4495.thumb.jpeg.d82041f2248a793ae7815fbaed4c15e1.jpeg

Back to my old fave; 2 scoops vanilla, Philadelphia-style. And lemon sorbet. Neither of these was fully hardened in the freezer; more like 2 or 3 hours at most.

The Whynter machine is much different than my old, beloved, passed on to a friend, Lello Gelato. The Lello, with its smaller bowl and perhaps more efficient freezer, froze stuff faster than the Whynter. And a bit more solidly, at least at the point where I think it's done.  But now I'm leaving the ice cream in the Whynter for at least 10 minutes after it's done spinning on its cold only function; seems to be a little easier to scoop out that way.

Both machines, by the way, are a bit of a pain in the ass to fully excise the ice cream fun. Which means I spend time over the sink "cleaning" off the dasher!