• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

You guys...

I'm already dealing with milk powder, cornstarch, tapioca starch, corn syrup (sorta glucose?), cream cheese non-UHT milk and cream...just tell me how I can make those work better than Dana and Jeni do!

By better, I just mean a little less sweet by cutting the table sugar. I really like the ice creams I'm making for texture, mouth feel, etc. I'm not looking to add too much else - okay, I'll get some dextrose (and I think I have xanthum gum).

Hi weinoo.  If you ask me personally these are the only components that are required to make good ice cream that you can tweak based on your preference.  Milk, cream, sugar, salt, dextrose, skim milk powder.  From there you can then add your flavors.

so if you get a basic Dana cree recipe. Which is usually 15% sugar and 5% glucose.  Let’s say that’s 150g sucrose and 50 g glucose.  You can remove 75g sugar so you remove 75 points sweetness and 75 points antifreeze. Replace that with 39 grams of dextrose which will give you 27 points of sweetness and 74 points of antifreeze.  Your net sweetness is now 48 points and pac is 149. Scoopability is almost the same but your sweetness is lowered.

then add 40g of skim milk powder which will make up for the lost solids.  This 40g of skim milk powder would be roughly 22g of lactose which gives you additional 22 points of antifreeze and 4 points of sweetness. 

I would like to correct myself in an earlier post. Skim milk powder can be a big help I agree with Paul the only problem is that you can only tweak skim milk powder to a certain point or you might end up with gritty ice cream.  Hence why I don’t go to skim milk powder as my initial lever when controlling sweetness.  I always go to the sucrose dextrose ratio for that and if I can’t fix it there then out comes glycerine and inulin but to tell you the truth I’ve never had a problem just with sucrose and dextrose. 

ccp900

ccp900

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

You guys...

I'm already dealing with milk powder, cornstarch, tapioca starch, corn syrup (sorta glucose?), cream cheese non-UHT milk and cream...just tell me how I can make those work better than Dana and Jeni do!

By better, I just mean a little less sweet by cutting the table sugar. I really like the ice creams I'm making for texture, mouth feel, etc. I'm not looking to add too much else - okay, I'll get some dextrose (and I think I have xanthum gum).

Hi weinoo.  If you ask me personally these are the only components that are required to make good ice cream that you can tweak based on your preference.  Milk, cream, sugar, salt, dextrose, skim milk powder.  From there you can then add your flavors.

so if you get a basic Dana cree recipe. Which is usually 15% sugar and 5% glucose.  Let’s say that’s 150g sucrose and 50 g glucose.  You can remove 75g sugar so you remove 75 points sweetness and 75 points antifreeze. Replace that with 39 grams of dextrose which will give you 27 points of sweetness and 74 points of antifreeze.  Your net sweetness is now 48 points and pac is 149. Scoopability is almost the same but your sweetness is lowered.

then add 40g of skim milk powder which will make up for the lost solids.  This 40g of skim milk powder would be roughly 22g of lactose which gives you additional 22 points of antifreeze and 4 points of sweetness.