• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

On 7/25/2020 at 2:26 AM, paulraphael said:

We're just talking about it seeming too hard-frozen, yes? If this is the only problem, I'd just change the ratio of sugars. More dextrose, a little less sucrose.

Is your freezer very cold, and you don't want to wait to be able to scoop? There are some drawbacks to going for too much freezing point depression. It will mean that at storage temperature, a lot of water remains unfrozen, and is free to move around and make bigger ice crystals. This is why we set things up so the ice cream has to warm up when it comes out of the freezer.

My first troubleshooting step to fix the sandiness would be to add just a bit of carrageenan. I wouldn't expect this to be necessary, but I can't think of anything else. Your formula is very similar to what I use most often, except for the stabilizer details, and I've never encountered sandiness or a short texture. 

Paul. Can I get your expert opinion pls.  Here are the

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

milk solids not fat 11.83

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

lactose 9.77 - 57.64grams

pod 120

pac 176 due to nut fat hardening.

it isn’t gritty but I just noticed it now. When I get a spoon of the ice cream and I put it in my mouth it feels very very cold. When I bite into the ice cream there seems to be some very small ice crunches not large and it can’t be detected by the tongue since when I melt it on my tongue it seems ok but when I bite into it it feels a bit crunchy.  Would you consider this iciness?

i have a few ideas to fix but would like to get your opinion.  My solids are good enough at 41.44% total fat is 12.5%.  It isn’t lactose crystals because it melts.

would the fact that I made the ice cream harder be the culprit here?  

my ideas would be to make some batches that would

a.  Increase dextrose and lower sucrose to get to a more normal pac

b. Another batch to move the stabilizer to 5g in 1000g. I have it currently at 3g. It should be ok but it is a factor I can play around.

c. Increase the milk fat but  the total fat is already pretty high I don’t really want to make that high fat ice cream formula.  I like the challenge of making this work instead of going the route of fat. It’s the simplest way to fix this but I want to address this more technically

i got this from ruben’s review

http://icecreamscience.com/cuisinart-ice-100-compressor-ice-cream-gelato-maker-review/#how_much_air_does_the_ice-100_whip_into_ice_cream

When I lowered the butterfat content in my mix to 18%, however, I found that the 4080 produced ice cream that was substantially smoother and creamier than that produced by the ICE-100, albeit not as smooth and creamy as the 23% butterfat recipe. The ICE-100 produced noticeably coarse ice cream with large icey chunks that were detectable in the mouth. Butterfat masks large ice crystals, which is why they are not detected in the mouth in a high butterfat mix, but then become pronounced once the butterfat content is reduced. These findings show that the 4080 produces ice cream with smaller ice crystals and, consequently, smoother texture, which is more pronounced in recipes with a lower butterfat content.

i saw another review on Facebook and it says the same thing. The person was comparing the new whynter version icm 201sb and the ice 100 and he said that the ice 100 ice cream has small ice crystals even if he used the same mix divided into 2 and churned them the same time.  It might be more of an issue with the machine then rather than the formulation. 

I don’t want to shell out 20k usd for a stargel 4 darn it. Those machines are expensive where I am from and we don’t have emery Thompson’s here.  

ccp900

ccp900

We're just talking about it seeming too hard-frozen, yes? If this is the only problem, I'd just change the ratio of sugars. More dextrose, a little less sucrose.

Is your freezer very cold, and you don't want to wait to be able to scoop? There are some drawbacks to going for too much freezing point depression. It will mean that at storage temperature, a lot of water remains unfrozen, and is free to move around and make bigger ice crystals. This is why we set things up so the ice cream has to warm up when it comes out of the freezer.

My first troubleshooting step to fix the sandiness would be to add just a bit of carrageenan. I wouldn't expect this to be necessary, but I can't think of anything else. Your formula is very similar to what I use most often, except for the stabilizer details, and I've never encountered sandiness or a short texture. 

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

pod 120

it isn’t gritty but I just noticed it now. When I get a spoon of the ice cream and I put it in my mouth it feels very very cold. When I bite into the ice cream there seems to be some very small ice crunches not large and it can’t be detected by the tongue since when I melt it on my tongue it seems ok but when I bite into it it feels a bit crunchy.  Would you consider this iciness?

i have a few ideas to fix but would like to get your opinion.  My solids are good enough at 41.44% total fat is 12.5%.  It isn’t lactose crystals because it melts.

b. Another batch to move the stabilizer to 5g in 1000g. I have it currently at 3g. It should be ok but it is a factor I can play around.

c. Increase the milk fat but  the total fat is already pretty high I don’t really want to make that high fat ice cream formula.  I like the challenge of making this work instead of going the route of fat. It’s the simplest way to fix this but I want to address this more technically

http://icecreamscience.com/cuisinart-ice-100-compressor-ice-cream-gelato-maker-review/#how_much_air_does_the_ice-100_whip_into_ice_cream

When I lowered the butterfat content in my mix to 18%, however, I found that the 4080 produced ice cream that was substantially smoother and creamier than that produced by the ICE-100, albeit not as smooth and creamy as the 23% butterfat recipe. The ICE-100 produced noticeably coarse ice cream with large icey chunks that were detectable in the mouth. Butterfat masks large ice crystals, which is why they are not detected in the mouth in a high butterfat mix, but then become pronounced once the butterfat content is reduced. These findings show that the 4080 produces ice cream with smaller ice crystals and, consequently, smoother texture, which is more pronounced in recipes with a lower butterfat content.

i saw another review on Facebook and it says the same thing. The person was comparing the new whyntervversion that’s 2.5qt and the ice 100 and he said that the ice 100 ice cream has small ice crystals even if he used the same mix divided into 2 and churned them the same time.  It might be more of an issue with the machine then rather than the formulation. 

I don’t want to shell out 20k usd for a stargel 4 darn it. Those machines are expensive where I am from and we don’t have emery Thompson’s here.  

ccp900

ccp900

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

pod 120

ccp900

ccp900

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

pod 120