• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

32 minutes ago, SeanT said:

Thanks for the input Paula nd ccp900.  

CCP900, your comment about not enought water is what my gut reaction was.  The ice cream does seem dry.  I think I'll make it again and see if i get the same results to double check I didn't somehow weigh an ingredient incorrectly.  Unfortunately I don't have any carragean otherwise I would try that.  If I wanted to make the ice cream even softer what would you do? Increase the granulated sugar? The ice cream definitely wasn't too sweet.  Increase both the sugar and dextrose, or maybe even the invert syrup?  BTW, my freezer temp is set at 0 F and the ice cream texture did not improve as it warmed up.  

If it’s really just the softness you are after then I would just play around with dextrose and sucrose and invert sugar

as an example,

just using these 2 ingredients (just as an example)

original

50g sucrose = 50 pod 50 pac

50 g dextrose = 35 pod 95 pac

20g invert =  26 pod 33 pac

Total.                   111 pod 178 pac

New

0 sucrose

75g dextrose = 53 pod 143 pac

45g invert sugar = 59 pod 75 pac

total                         112pod 218 pac

of course you have to also factor in the solids content of the sugar etc but the calculation shows the point 

ccp900

ccp900

25 minutes ago, SeanT said:

Thanks for the input Paula nd ccp900.  

CCP900, your comment about not enought water is what my gut reaction was.  The ice cream does seem dry.  I think I'll make it again and see if i get the same results to double check I didn't somehow weigh an ingredient incorrectly.  Unfortunately I don't have any carragean otherwise I would try that.  If I wanted to make the ice cream even softer what would you do? Increase the granulated sugar? The ice cream definitely wasn't too sweet.  Increase both the sugar and dextrose, or maybe even the invert syrup?  BTW, my freezer temp is set at 0 F and the ice cream texture did not improve as it warmed up.  

If it’s really just the softness you are after then I would just play around with dextrose and sucrose and invert sugar

as an example,

just using these 2 ingredients (just as an example)

original

50g sucrose = 50 pod 50 pac

50 g dextrose = 35 pod 95 pac

20g invert =  26 pod 33 pac

Total.                   111 pod 178 pac

New

0 sucrose

75g dextrose = 53 pod 143 pac

45g invert sugar = 59 pod 75 pac

total                         112pod 218 pac