• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

On 7/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, jandreas said:

The general rule of thumb from Corvitto for calculating the maximum percentage of skim milk powder that you can use before sandiness can become an issue...

Add up the percentage of sugar and fat in the mix, subtract that from 100 and divide by 6.9.  

If your ice cream has 16.5% sugar and 8% fat;

16.5 + 8 = 24.5

100 - 24.5 = 75.5

75.5 / 6.9  = Use a maximum of 10.94% skim milk powder.

And depending on how much of a control freak you are;  there are all sorts of additional rules that can come into play, ex. your protein levels shouldn't be more than 50% whey.  The degree of polymerization of your solids will affect when things start turning sandy too.  But the Corvitto rule is "safe".

Thanks jandreas I’m not sure why I missed your comment there.apologies

why is 6.9 chosen? 

ccp900

ccp900

On 7/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, jandreas said:

The general rule of thumb from Corvitto for calculating the maximum percentage of skim milk powder that you can use before sandiness can become an issue...

Add up the percentage of sugar and fat in the mix, subtract that from 100 and divide by 6.9.  

If your ice cream has 16.5% sugar and 8% fat;

16.5 + 8 = 24.5

100 - 24.5 = 75.5

75.5 / 6.9  = Use a maximum of 10.94% skim milk powder.

And depending on how much of a control freak you are;  there are all sorts of additional rules that can come into play, ex. your protein levels shouldn't be more than 50% whey.  The degree of polymerization of your solids will affect when things start turning sandy too.  But the Corvitto rule is "safe".

Thanks jandreas I’m not sure why I missed your comment there.apologies