• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

Honestly, I don't think ice cream requires nearly as many stabilizers or technical ingredients as has become popular in modernist cooking circles unless you're planning on keeping it around for days and days. 

I will say that I usually make something that's a bit less fat than most ice cream recipes, and a good bit more fat than gelato (my standard recipe is 4:2:1 milk:cream:sugar). Gelato typically has quite a bit less milkfat than ice cream. So if you'd like to standardize around, say, 8% or something (which is on the higher end of the gelato range, but still fine, and more forgiving), you could back calculate the rest. Mangoes average around 80% water content, and you can replace any milk proteins / lactose with up to 30g of skim milk powder per 3 or so odd cups of liquid.

How it precisely shakes out will probably depend on just how much mango you feel like you want to incorporate into your base. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the stringiness of mango, I'd just puree it first, but that's a personal decision.

jimb0

jimb0

Honestly, I don't think ice cream requires nearly as many stabilizers or technical ingredients as has become popular in modernist cooking circles unless you're planning on keeping it around for days and days. 

I will say that I usually make something that's a bit less fat than most ice cream recipes, and a good bit more fat than gelato (my standard recipe is 4:2:1 milk:cream:sugar). Gelato typically has quite a bit less milkfat than ice cream. So if you'd like to standardize around, say, 8% or something, you could back calculate the rest. Mangoes average around 80% water content, and you can replace any milk proteins / lactose with up to 30g of skim milk powder per 3 or so odd cups of liquid.

How it precisely shakes out will probably depend on just how much mango you feel like you want to incorporate into your base. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the stringiness of mango, I'd just puree it first, but that's a personal decision.