• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

11 minutes ago, shain said:

more juicy, and perhaps more sweet and less tart?

You are correct.  I think they are at their very best at this stage when the skin is mostly yellow with just a blush of green remaining,  the flesh is still pale green and they are bursting with juice.  Is "blush of green" an oxymoron?  I dunno.  But at that stage, they are more juicy but still lime-y.  When the skin gets all the way yellow, and the flesh starts to fade towards yellow, they become less tart and lime-y.  At some point after they get really yellow, some of the pith that runs down the center can start to turn brown and they aren't as good with some bitterness creeping in.  That's all my 2 cents :D - I have one lime tree and am no expert!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 minute ago, shain said:

more juicy, and perhaps more sweet and less tart?

You are correct.  I think they are at their very best at this stage when the skin is mostly yellow with just a blush of green remaining,  the flesh is still pale green and they are bursting with juice.  Is "blush of green" an oxymoron?  I dunno.  But at that stage, they are more juicy but still very and lime-y.  When the skin gets all the way yellow, and the flesh starts to fade towards yellow, they become less tart and lime-y.  At some point after they get really yellow, some of the pith that runs down the center can start to turn brown and they aren't as good with some bitterness creeping in.  That's all my 2 cents :D - I have one lime tree and am no expert!