• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

I guess it's just our family but nowhere did I see any suggestion of soup for Christmas Eve.  When I was growing up, it was always oyster stew, made by my father, and his mother before him.  When I had my own children, I tried to continue the tradition but my kids weren't really fans.  That meant they ate what they had to, and then I finished off the rest of it -- savoring every slurp of the buttery, creamy, fattening broth.  Tasted great, but not so great for me. So I decided to come up with another soup.  Went with Julia Child's luxurious cream of mushroom for a few years but it's a lot of work.  With all of the hectic activities of Christmas Eve including, in our family, Midnight Mass, finally decided to settle in with something that was a lot less work.  That was about thirty years ago.  And, to this day, everyone in our family, kids, grandkids, everybody, continues the tradition with Bacon Potato Chowder.

When I'm hosting a big crowd, serve the soup in a crockpot.  I have a collection of Christmas mugs, and everybody ladles the soup into the mugs, easy for eating while standing around.

So, that would be my one suggestion to you for Christmas Eve - maybe consider adding a soup?

Jaymes

Jaymes

I guess it's just our family but nowhere did I see any suggestion of soup for Christmas Eve.  When I was growing up, it was always oyster stew, made by my father, and his mother before him.  When I had my own children, I tried to continue the tradition but my kids weren't really fans.  That meant they ate what they had to, and then I finished off the rest of it -- savoring every slurp of the buttery, creamy, fattening broth.  Tasted great, but not so great for me. So I decided to come up with another soup.  Went with Julia Child's luxurious cream of mushroom for a few years but it's a lot of work.  With all of the hectic activities of Christmas Eve including, in our family, Midnight Mass, finally decided to come up with something that was a lot less work.  That was about thirty years ago.  And, to this day, everyone in our family, kids, grandkids, everybody, continues the tradition with Bacon Potato Chowder.

When I'm hosting a big crowd, serve the soup in a crockpot.  I have a collection of Christmas mugs, and everybody ladles the soup into the mugs, easy for eating while standing around.

So, that would be my one suggestion to you for Christmas Eve - maybe consider adding a soup?

Jaymes

Jaymes

I guess it's just our family but nowhere did I see any suggestion of soup for Christmas Eve.  When I was growing up, it was always oyster stew, made by my father, and his mother before him.  When I had my own children, I tried to continue the tradition but my kids weren't really fans.  That meant they ate what they had to, and then I finished off the rest of it -- savoring every slurp of the buttery, creamy, fattening broth.  Not so good for me.  So I decided to come up with another soup.  Went with Julia Child's luxurious cream of mushroom for a few years but it's a lot of work.  With all of the hectic activities of Christmas Eve including, in our family, Midnight Mass, finally decided to come up with something that was a lot less work.  That was about thirty years ago.  And, to this day, everyone in our family, kids, grandkids, everybody, continues the tradition with Bacon Potato Chowder.

Jaymes

Jaymes

I guess it's just our family but nowhere did I see any suggestion of soup for Christmas Eve.  When I was growing up, it was always oyster stew, made by my father, and his mother before him.  When I had my own children, I tried to continue the tradition but my kids weren't really fans.  That meant they ate what they had to, and then I finished off the rest of it -- savoring every slurp of the buttery, creamy, fattening broth.  Not good.  So I decided to come up with another soup.  Went with Julia Child's luxurious cream of mushroom for a few years but it's a lot of work.  With all of the hectic activities of Christmas Eve including, in our family, Midnight Mass, finally decided to come up with something that was a lot less work.  That was about thirty years ago.  And, to this day, everyone in our family, kids, grandkids, everybody, continues the tradition with Bacon Potato Chowder.