• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Here's my take on Evan Funke's Triangoli di Zucca con Burro e Salvia (triangoli with squash, butter & sage) from his recent book, American Sfoglino

The filling was a surprise to me.  I expected to add something extra (ham, goat cheese, gorgonzola?) to boost the flavor and temper the sweetness of the squash but when I tasted it, I loved the intense squash flavors and skipped any other additions. 

The recipe says to boil the squash until tender, purée it, then cook it with butter and a couple of sage leaves, stirring constantly until it thickens.  I roasted butternut squash and used rather less butter than he specifies, cooking it down until it reduced to ~ half the original volume.  Edited to add that I posted the recipe for the butternut squash filling over here

The book uses an egg pasta dough, I went with an egg, bread flour and stone ground wheat dough using whole grain, stone ground spelt from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta.  I thought this slightly more chewy pasta would be a good contrast to the smooth squash filling. 

2.5" pasta squares with the squash filling:

IMG_1496.thumb.jpeg.50e636726e0bc08d5fe1fdd5cf2f283e.jpeg

Triangoli:

IMG_1497.thumb.jpeg.d8e42de8a5b01328b11d4a9d37ce012b.jpeg

Plated with the sage and brown butter sauce and my additions of toasted hazelnuts and gorgonzola dolce

IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.c1075d5e9bb46b1427f35820ab52ea97.jpeg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Here's my take on Evan Funke's Triangoli di Zucca con Burro e Salvia (triangoli with squash, butter & sage) from his recent book, American Sfoglino

The filling was a surprise to me.  I expected to add something extra (ham, goat cheese, gorgonzola?) to boost the flavor and temper the sweetness of the squash but when I tasted it, I loved the intense squash flavors and skipped any other additions. 

The recipe says to boil the squash until tender, purée it, then cook it with butter and a couple of sage leaves, stirring constantly until it thickens.  I roasted butternut squash and used rather less butter than he specifies, cooking it down until it reduced to ~ half the original volume.  

The book uses an egg pasta dough, I went with an egg, bread flour and stone ground wheat dough using whole grain, stone ground spelt from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta.  I thought this slightly more chewy pasta would be a good contrast to the smooth squash filling. 

2.5" pasta squares with the squash filling:

IMG_1496.thumb.jpeg.50e636726e0bc08d5fe1fdd5cf2f283e.jpeg

Triangoli:

IMG_1497.thumb.jpeg.d8e42de8a5b01328b11d4a9d37ce012b.jpeg

Plated with the sage and brown butter sauce and my additions of toasted hazelnuts and gorgonzola dolce

IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.c1075d5e9bb46b1427f35820ab52ea97.jpeg