• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

On 23/10/2015 at 10:49 PM, Shelby said:

I like that the people all look so happy :)

I love the way that they celebrate any festivals, weddings, funerals etc by having the whole village cook and eat together, also inviting any passing outsiders like me to join them. Not much time left to waffle about it on the internet!

Food is even more central to their lives than to us here on eG. They have to plant it, harvest it, store it or preserve it, cook it and then happily eat it. The nearest supermarket is a day trip away at best, even if they could afford it. Everything they eat, they produce. To do so they must do it together. It's a hard life. Planting and harvesting rice, for example, is back-breaking. But I see more smiles than I ever see in the supermarket.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 23/10/2015 at 10:49 PM, Shelby said:

I love the way that they celebrate any festivals, weddings, funerals etc by having the whole village cook and eat together, also inviting any passing outsiders like me to join them. Not much time left to waffle about it on the internet!

Food is even more central to their lives than to us here on eG. They have to plant it, harvest it, store it or preserve it, cook it and then happily eat it. The nearest supermarket is a day trip away at best, even if they could afford it. Everything they eat, they produce. To do so they must do it together. It's a hard life. Planting and harvesting rice, for example, is back-breaking. But I see more smiles than I never see in the supermarket.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Food is even more central to their lives than to us here on eG. They have to plant it, harvest it, store it or preserve it, cook it and then happily eat it. The nearest supermarket is a day trip away at best, even if they could afford it. Everything they eat, they produce. To do so they must do it together. It's a hard life. Planting and harvesting rice, for example, is back-breaking. But I see more smiles than I never see in the supermarket.