• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

@Doofa-- Below is the method some kind soul posted on eGullet (I failed to note the name, so my apologies; you, I hope, know who you are, because I don't!). Worked like a charm for me.

Roll the scallops in a couple of layers of plastic wrap (don't use the commercial PVC type that stinks). Cook at 50°C. Time varies by size of the scallops.

Chill in an ice water bath (still wrapped). this improves texture and keeps scallops from overcooking when you sear.

Dry them. Optionally, dust very lightly with a 1:1.5 baking soda/glucose mix to speed browning. Get a pan very hot. Right before searing dust scallops lightly in wondra flour (also optional). Browning should take 15 to 20 seconds per side.

Here's a good starting point for time:

1” diameter: 40 minutes

1.5” diameter: 80 minutes

2” diameter:  120 minutes

2.5” diameter: 40 minutes (don’t roll. ziploc bag with space between scallops)

Here's a more exact formula for the brine:

Water 100% 

ice 20%

salt 6% (will be 5% after ice melts)

sugar 4.2% (will be 3.5% after ice melts)

-disolve sugar and salt into room temperature water in a plastic container

-stir in ice and add scallops

-cover and hold in refrigerator for 30 minutes

-drain and replace brine with plain icewater

-soak for 10 minutes

The brining, obviously, happens before the wrapping and cooking. As I recall, it was in two separate posts, and I just copied and pasted into a word file.

kayb

kayb

@Doofa-- Below is the method some kind soul posted on eGullet (I failed to note the name, so my apologies; you, I hope, know who you are, because I don't!). Worked like a charm for me.

Roll the scallops in a couple of layers of plastic wrap (don't use the commercial PVC type that stinks). Cook at 50°C. Time varies by size of the scallops.

Chill in an ice water bath (still wrapped). this improves texture and keeps scallops from overcooking when you sear.

Dry them. Optionally, dust very lightly with a 1:1.5 baking soda/glucose mix to speed browning. Get a pan very hot. Right before searing dust scallops lightly in wondra flour (also optional). Browning should take 15 to 20 seconds per side.

Here's a good starting point for time:

1” diameter: 40 minutes

1.5” diameter: 80 minutes

2” diameter:  120 minutes

2.5” diameter: 40 minutes (don’t roll. ziploc bag with space between scallops)

Here's a more exact formula for the brine:

Water 100% 

ice 20%

salt 6% (will be 5% after ice melts)

sugar 4.2% (will be 3.5% after ice melts)

-disolve sugar and salt into room temperature water in a plastic container

-stir in ice and add scallops

-cover and hold in refrigerator for 30 minutes

-drain and replace brine with plain icewater

-soak for 10 minutes