• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pbear

pbear

Haven't done top sirloin but I have done bottom several times.  I agree with the more modest cooking time.  In fact, I do it a bit less, eight hours.  If you go long, it'll taste like pot roast.  Even at the moderate time, it'll taste a bit pot roast-ish, but not nearly so much.  Meanwhile, I don't think it's tender enough cooked just to temp.  Of course, YMMV.

ETA: To clarify, I also didn't think the long cooked bottom sirloin (what we here on the Left Coast call tri-tip) made a very good pot roast.  The texture was too tight for my taste.  For pot roast, I prefer chuck.  Again, YMMV.

pbear

pbear

Haven't done top sirloin but I have done bottom several times.  I agree with the more modest cooking time.  In fact, I do it a bit less, eight hours.  If you go long, it'll taste like pot roast.  Even at the moderate time, it'll taste a bit pot roast-ish, but not nearly so much.  Meanwhile, I don't think it's tender enough cooked just to temp.  Of course, YMMV.