• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infusing chocolate bars

Meenap101

What are your ideas on how to do this?  Do you have ideas for flavors you want to try?  The easiest way to add flavor without texture is to add a fat based flavor, such as Lorann Oils.  You can also vacuum pack chocolate pieces with strongly flavored ingredients like coffee beans until the chocolate absorbs the flavor.  Nut pastes can be added directly to chocolate, resulting in gianduja.  I think of infusing as what we do when we make tea or add aromatics to stock - steeping in liquid then straining.  I know there are other ways to use the word, but I don't think of gianduja as an infusion, just a mix.  I suppose there is no reason why you couldn't melt chocolate, add dry spices (or even tea) to infuse then strain out and temper.

I tend to use essential oils - but I have done some experimenting where I sous vide the chocolate with the item I want to infuse - straining is a bitch though.

• Like 1