• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with Dye Leaching from Kitchen Sponges

Shel_B

I use Trader Joe's Pop-up Sponges, made from natural vegetable cellulose.

I'll look for them the next time I'm at TJ's.  Thanks for the tip.

... Shel

found myself at the MegaloMart  this AM:  needed Pickles

cutting down the "clean-up stuff isle"  i spotted the clean-up sponges in question :

"""  Made in Canada for 3M """

OMG !  eh ?

found myself at the MegaloMart  this AM:  needed Pickles

cutting down the "clean-up stuff isle"  i spotted the clean-up sponges in question :

"""  Made in Canada for 3M """

OMG !  eh ?

And you thought all we could make were snow cones!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

nope :  Beer , Hockey, Calamari.  not necessarily in that order, eh ?

the question is :  is the added "for" meant to say its 3M's  fault entirely ?

clever id say.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the scotchbrite heavy duty sponges (green pad-yellow sponge) and have zero issues as you're describing. Buy them by the 8-pack I don't think a "greener sponge" is worth the trouble and expense unless it satisfies something inside...

Actually, I've discovered that they are no trouble to find.  Without even making an effort, I found two local stores that carry them, Safeway being one and the local natural grocery being the other.  At Safeway, they were on the same shelf, and right next to, other 3M sponges, and are made by 3M as well.

The natural grocery had three varieties on their shelf, two of which I purchased to determine which would be most satisfactory for me.  They are quite a bit less expensive at my local store than at Amazon - $1.29

Jute Sponge     Walnut Sponge

Thus far I have been quite pleased with the walnut sponges.

As for expense, the "green" 3M sponges were the same price as their chemical and dye laden sponges (3 for $3.99), and, as you can see, the ones at the natural grocery were actually a few cents less expensive.

The ones at the natural grocery are made with a higher percentage of recycled materials than the 3M sponges, but otherwise the stated contents were similar.

Since I complained to 3M, they were kind enough to offer replacement sponges, and I requested their green sponges. I'm waiting for them to arrive and look forward to doing a comparison between the two brands and three versions.'

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel