• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Skillet Fry Pan Side Angles

Shel_B

I just took delivery of a new All-Clad 10-inch skillet.  Comparing the design to my Calphalon 10-inch non-stick skillet, it seems that the sides of the All-Clad are at a greater angle, more sloped.  Got me to wondering ... is there an ideal angle for the sides of skillets that allow better cooking and manipulation of the food.  For example, a greater slope may make it easier to slide an omelet out of the pan.  Other than that, in what instances would the angle or slope of the sides make a difference, and what might be a good angle in general?

... Shel

A saute pan is the one with is wide flat bottom and straight sides while a skillet has sloped sides.  The bottom of a 12-inch saute pan is 12 inches while the bottom of a 12-inch skillet is about 10 inches. The saute pan allows for more volume and less chance of spillage when you move it around and a lid fits tighter so there is less evaporation. With a skillet, it is easier to flip or toss the food without using a spatula (if you do that sort of thing)  I choose a saute pan if I am going to fry or boil something, or have a large volume to cook,  and a skillet for most other things, plus evaporation with a skillet is faster so reduction of a liquid is qucker.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

The terms saute and skillet are often used interchangeably, though incorrectly.  Straight sides, flared sides and most of the differences are described above.  A saute will always have a lid.  A traditional skillet will not but.... In addition to boiling a product I prefer a saute (with lid) when moving a pan into the oven to finish.

All-Clad offers both pans in their various lines so there will be more distinction between the saute and skillet.  The last time I looked at Calphalon they only offered a "hybrid" so they split the difference on side slopes and had a lid. 

You definitely upgraded when you bought the AC.

Even though I believe the answer to Sheldon's question can only be "it depends", I don't think anyone has attempted to answer it. I believe Sheldon is well aware of the difference between a skillet and a sauté pan. What I believe he is asking is in a skillet what is the ideal angle that the sides flare out from the base. But if I misinterpreted Sheldon I am sure he will not hesitate to correct me.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Even though I believe the answer to Sheldon's question can only be "it depends", I don't think anyone has attempted to answer it. I believe Sheldon is well aware of the difference between a skillet and a sauté pan. What I believe he is asking is in a skillet what is the ideal angle that the sides flare out from the base. But if I misinterpreted Sheldon I am sure he will not hesitate to correct me.

Yes, I know that "it depends" is, at least in part, the answer, however, I suspect that in some instances one angle may be better than another, such as in the example I gave when posting the question.

I've found that, in the Calphalon skillet, it's sometimes difficult to turn foods with a spatula, and it's certainly been somewhat difficult to roll an omelet onto a plate.  I suspect that these situations would be easier with the more gently sloping sides of the All-Clad skillet, but I've not yet done a side-by-side comparison.

Maybe the question should be rephrased to "What angles work best for you in what situations?"

Shel is much preferred to Sheldon ...

... Shel

Yes, I know that "it depends" is, at least in part, the answer, however, I suspect that in some instances one angle may be better than another, such as in the example I gave when posting the question.

I've found that, in the Calphalon skillet, it's sometimes difficult to turn foods with a spatula, and it's certainly been somewhat difficult to roll an omelet onto a plate.  I suspect that these situations would be easier with the more gently sloping sides of the All-Clad skillet, but I've not yet done a side-by-side comparison.

Maybe the question should be rephrased to "What angles work best for you in what situations?"

Shel is much preferred to Sheldon ...

Shel versus Sheldon duly noted.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My "omelet pan" is slightly shallower than most skillets and has gently sloping sides.

I have deeper skillets with sloping sides that range from quite flared to near to straight, with only a slight flare (cast iron, for instance) and which are used for frying chicken, pork chops, etc., because there is also room for stirring gravy without it slopping over the sides.

Some of my frying pans have sloping sides but instead of an outward flare are slightly rounded inward at the top and I find this shape particularly handy for sauteeing stutt that need to be "tossed" to cook evenly. 

I am sure that my "ideal" pans would be different than the ideals of other cooks because the way we hold pans is different, the strength in our hands and the lengths of our arms is different and what works perfectly for me would not work for others.

I have a friend who was a "short order" cook for decades and who prefers his beat-up old Vollrath aluminum fry pans to a newer set his grandchildren gave him.  I think they are all 12" pans and for me, awkward to manipulate but he can cook anything in them and they have developed a non-stick patina from years of use.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett