• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abeego, natural reusable plastic wrap alternative

GlorifiedRice

http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=bee%27s+wrap+Natural+Alternative+to+Plastic+Wrap&tag=20140000-20

Saw this on the web today, its called Abeego, its a natural reusable plastic wrap alternative. Wash and reuse, comes in

a myriad of configurations...has anyone here used it? Does it eventually stink?

I just dont see how it wouldnt degrade eventually,

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

It's really funny, but I remember when I was a child (1940s)  there was beeswaxed muslin used in the kitchen for all kinds of tasks.

The muslin was washed to remove the sizing, stretched on frames and the beeswax rubbed into the weave. One of the women would then iron the muslin so the wax would melt into and meld with the fabric.

Some was formed into "bags" and some doughs that required long rising were hung on the wall behind the kitchen range - where it was warm.

The stuff was used in the "spring house" to hold soft cheeses, butter and etc.

It seems that what was old is new again...

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, that's very interesting: instead of a replacement for plastic wrap, this is the precursor! Do you remember how long it lasted, whether (and how) the beeswax-permeated muslin had to be cleaned?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

They lasted for years, were wiped down with vinegar/water and hung to dry.  If they began to leak, it was not difficult to add more beeswax, iron and refresh them.  There was one huge sheet that covered the entire top of the kitchen work table that was used for rolling out pastries, especially the sticky ones.

Incidentally, the exact same method was used to make rainproof coats and capes going back centuries.  My great grandmother said that the coachmen when she was a girl, wore "greatcoats" with capes over the shoulders that were waxed - just heavier material.

Even now you can buy waxed coats and jackets, popular in the UK and Australia, NZ, so the process is still being used and those that use beeswax are a lot more "green" than the plastic stuff we see here.  However, because of the cost of beeswax, many of the manufacturers now use paraffin.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett