• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Festive Baking Without Dried Fruit

Sophie Cook

Thanks for the recipe! I will try that one this year.

I should have noted that you might not need all the flour.  Sometimes the dough is workable with a little more than 6 cups of flour, other times it takes the full amount - humidity in the air seems to be the reason.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you for posting that recipe!   The molasses rings a bell now, as does the black pepper.  And, it was probably the black pepper that I disliked as a child- thus my lack of attention in learning to make them.   :smile: Thanks again!  I might try these again, too. (sans pepper).

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Thank you for posting that recipe!   The molasses rings a bell now, as does the black pepper.  And, it was probably the black pepper that I disliked as a child- thus my lack of attention in learning to make them.   :smile: Thanks again!  I might try these again, too. (sans pepper).

I know some people are hesitant about using the pepper.

It should be freshly ground.

I have several varities of peppercorns and some are more aromatic and "sweeter" with a "fruty" flavor - one of my favorites to use in baking - in fruit pies and etc., is the Comet's Tail peppercorn - you can really taste the difference. 

One of my friends is making chocolate truffles with this pepper in the dark chocolate filling.  I can't eat chocolate but every batch me makes sells out early in the day. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If we are (are we?) moving past the world of festive 'cakes' (though pfeffernusse is a 'cake-like' cookie, I know) ... I will suggest rosettes. My mother made those only once a year - at Christmas time - and I still have her original 'iron' - she always used the 'snowflake' one. They are so light and delicate and 'snowy' - dipped in powdered sugar. I love them - and this 'festive' thread has reminded me that I should make some again soon myself.

Mom also made springerle but those need to age a bit as I recall to soften up - and though I like them now, I don't remember sneaking them out of the cookie tin when I was a kid.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that recipe! The molasses rings a bell now, as does the black pepper. And, it was probably the black pepper that I disliked as a child- thus my lack of attention in learning to make them. :smile: Thanks again! I might try these again, too. (sans pepper).

But...the pepper is what makes them 'pfeffernüssen' (pfeffer=pepper)! :wink:

A dacquoise is an excellent holiday option: looks and tastes special, is surprisingly simple to make (pipe the merinque, instead of going mad trying to spread it evenly), and has the advantage of being gluten-free, should that be an issue for any family members or friends.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I recommend doing a bûche de noël.  If you choose not to do a traditional rolled one, you can make the cake, mousse and insert(s) using whatever flavour you want.  Just make a long bûche, freeze it solid then cut off the length you need and glaze it.  They look spectacular as well.

Philippe Conticini's ones look pretty good this year, if you need inspiration...

Sorry it took time but I could only find the cookbook edition  where they left out the milk . A bit more digging and here is the recipe.  WHen it comes to icing it, some just add  icing sugar on top, some has a thin layer of  raisin jam and then marzipan and then a white icing over. So it is up to you what you want to do.

Saffroncake

200gram butter
½ gram saffron
1 sugar lump
1- 2 tablespoon vodka.
2eggs 
300 ml sugar
150 ml milk
400 ml flour
2 tespoon baking powder

Turn the oven to 175 C.
Butter and dust a 24 cm diamter  springform pan.

Grind the saffron and sugar lumpin a pestle and mortar and add vodka.

Melt butter. In a bowl whisk eggs and sugar untile pale and fluffy. Add milk, saffron and butter and combine.  Mix flour and baking powder, sift this into the eggmixture. 

Stir until combined. 

Bake in the cooler part of the oven for 45 min.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.