• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Effect of extended sous vide cooking time at target temperature

FeChef

I made a 5lb rotisserie pork shoulder roast last night and it reached 145F pretty quick (like 1 1/2 hours) I decided to throw it in the sous vide @ 145F overnight.

I have done smoker/oven + sous vide before with good results but both methods were always low and slow. This would be the first time i brought something to target temp very quickly then let it continue at a much slower rate.

I am wondering if this extra time will continue to tenderize or not? I brined the roast for 36 hours and very little juices were left in the rotisserie pan so i dont think it will end up dry.

Thoughts?

I'll do pork butt SV for a day or two and get wonderfully juicy, tenderized pulled pork. 

I was just about to post that this roast is planned to be sliced thin not pulled/shredded. For pulled/shredded i sous vide for 33 hours @ 155F.

For sliced i have sous vide for 16-20 hours @ 145F with good results. But this time i was looking for more flavor like you get from a rotisserie, I was just not happy about the roast reaching the target temp so quickly. Which is why i decided to stick it in the sous vide for atleast 12 hours, maybe 16 hours.

• Like 1

I went with 16 hours. I removed the juices from the bag and flash chilled it to slice and package tommorow. There was 2 cups of juice in the bag that i will make an au jus out of along with the drippings i got from the rotisserie pan. I will say alot of the color it had got from the rotisserie seems to have went into the juices which is a shame but oh well, it will get added back once sliced. Should make some really tasty pork sandwiches.

• Like 1