• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at Sporting events.

porkpa

How much does one usually pay for meals at sporting events?

Whenever I go to the U.S. Open, I've learned to bring my own munchies and eats.  The vendors at Flushing Meadows know they've got a good thing and often charge an arm and a leg for items that wouldn't cost nearly as much elsewhere....I have memories of $5 hot dogs and $6 trays of nachos.  :unsure:  :angry:

Soba

Prices at the US Open are rediculously high. They're in their own stratosphere. I think Restaurant Assoc. does the food for the Open, rather than Harry M. Stevens or Aramark. This might be part of the reason for the high prices.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I love the Bull City Burrito served at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, NC (the Bulls were immortalized in the movie "Bull Durham" and are a Triple A minor league baseball team).

Anyhow, the Bull City Burrito contains kielbasa, refried beans and sauerkraut. I'm usually not allowed to sleep in the same room as Mrs. Varmint on the nights I eat one of these suckers!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

we do not even eat inside the ball parks. The food is usually abysmal (w/a few exceptions but those exceptions do not include Atl) & what is amazing is that now, for security purposes (yeah, right!) coolers & food fr/ outside the stadium is no longer allowed into games. What a joke! The best food is usually at minor league stadiums where they invite local places to set up & sell their wares.

We host about two dozen people for the UGA games home & away and enjoy finding a menu to complement each team we play. People walk by our tailgate set up (w/ table cloths, fresh flowers, & a full bar) & we do not mind making them jealous at all.

HDHD

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

The food choices at both Yankee & Shea are abysmal compared to other ballparks.

As long as they have hotdogs and a beer it's OK with me. Originally I'm from Cleveland and when the Indians were bad for many, many years often the only reason to go to the park was to eat a hotdog with Bertman's BallPark Mustard. Why anyone would put crappy yellow mustard on ANYTHING is beyond me.