• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Borough Market

A great day at London Borough Market on a beautiful and sunny day in this July.

Many people of different nationalities and food from all over the world.

I had to have my German Bratwurst with Mustard and NO ketchup followed by a Swiss Raclette, few glasses of Prosecco and a Habanos :)

Enjoy....

1-

1dd5b36f-3ec8-40c7-a3b6-f102e94a7e92.jpg

2-

9319d8c3-2ea2-49e9-9977-01b35f74da6a.jpg

3-

e618c9da-9a82-4a9a-a09e-5245a8268bc2.jpg

4-

f252fac0-675d-4d33-b12c-56156bc6e907.jpg

5-

66012501-e9dd-46fb-ba3f-73c9b855d60b.jpg

6-_DSC98391.jpg

7-_DSC98561.jpg

8-_DSC984011.jpg

9-

_DSC98531.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 3

Very nice photos, Nicolai. Thanks for posting them; it looks like a wonderful place.

In Image #2, lower left corner: is that a giant paella?

In Image #5, upper right corner: what is that man holding on the skewer?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Both agree and disagree about the tourist trap, you get some really hard to find ingredients there so it has its uses BUT on average is a good 30% more expensive for ingredients :hmmm:

Best place to eat there is Horn OK Please, its the first place I head for, I also think most eating establishments there are reasonably priced for London :smile:

20140804_111515.jpg

Aloo Tikki Chaat btw :laugh:

Edited by bk1234 (log)

Very nice photos, Nicolai. Thanks for posting them; it looks like a wonderful place.

In Image #2, lower left corner: is that a giant paella?

In Image #5, upper right corner: what is that man holding on the skewer?

Thank you for your comment.

- Image 2 is indeed a giant Paella

256d505c-9d3a-46ec-af37-c520f04ad7e4.jpg

- Image 5 shows a whole potato spiral cut and fried on a stick with different flavouring.

It is a new fad from Korea. Lots of fun and a show stopper.

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 1

It's a fantastic place.  We went when we were in London three years ago, but Wifey wasn't feeling 100% so we didn't spend as long as I'd have liked.  But I think it's fair to say any market with the sorts of things Borough sells is likely to seem 'overpriced'.

Thanks for the photos, Nicolai.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Beautiful photos. I went in April and found it a bit touristy as well, but it's worth checking out for sure. It's a good area to explore, with Wright Brothers nearby for a nice lunch, and the Whisky Exchange just around the corner...

• 9 years later...

The market is close to where I was born and where my mother lived until she fled this mortal coil a year ago. 
I used to use it a lot for fresh and varied foods; you could often rely on finding something unusual to grace a dinner table for friends. Unfortunately most of the artisan food producers have left now and what is left is a large number of overpriced street food vendors out to capture tourists with poor quality, mass produced food. Last time I went was for fresh porcini/ceps for a soup, but quickly realised I would need a second mortgage to buy a kilo or so. I ended up using supermarket mushrooms with some dried porcini from a very large bag brought back from Italy for a few euros.

we do have some great farmers markets springing up in the U.K. now and their produce is very much as good as that formerly found at Borough market, often with a lot less miles between home and point of sale.