• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-homogenized milk in cheese-making

cyalexa

I'm new to cheesemaking and am about to make my first mozzarella. I found a source of unpasteurized milk (no small feat in Oklahoma, and it's not too far from my house!). It is not homogenized. Do I need to make any adjustments to address the tendency for the cream to rise to the top? 

Just mix it well with a whisk before adding the coagulating agent. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Please let us know how it comes out, cyalexa. I keep reading about how easy and fun it is, but haven't taken the plunge myself yet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Please let us know how it comes out, cyalexa. I keep reading about how easy and fun it is, but haven't taken the plunge myself yet.

I will definitely report. I have made ricotta quite a few times with grocery store milk. I'm looking forward to the upgraded ingredients.