• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French scrambled eggs -whipping siphon not working

Attempted to make scrambled eggs from page 144. We bought a "isi" brand "cream profi whip" .5L in size based on books recommendation.

The manual said not to use warm foods in the siphon. We went ahead and put the warm eggs into the siphon and what came out was more "runny/liquidy" than foamy.

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if there is a work around?

Attempted to make scrambled eggs from page 144. We bought a "isi" brand "cream profi whip" .5L in size based on books recommendation.

The manual said not to use warm foods in the siphon. We went ahead and put the warm eggs into the siphon and what came out was more "runny/liquidy" than foamy.

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if there is a work around?

this is my 2nd or 3rd edit as i research this issue further. i had the same problem as you and after a few attempts, i got it to pretty much work. i say "pretty much" because i'm still having issues getting the nitrous to evenly disperse throughout the egg mixture and it's causing egg to splatter everywhere as i dispense. i found that heating up the dispenser with hot water from the tap before adding the egg mix helps. also, i would recommend shaking the dispenser upside down vigorously, making sure to crowd all the egg mix at the very top of the dispenser. i'm still working out the kinks, though - some egg just doesn't want to come out...

if your eggs are too runny, you probably just need to cook them longer. the eggs have to barely set before you can put them in the dispenser. then puree with an immersion blender until it's like a thick pudding. it shouldn't be liquidy...then you just get an egg milkshake (learned that one the hard way).

anyway, i managed to harvest about half of the aerated egg mix out of the dispenser and it was lighter and creamier (air gives the illusion of creaminess) than the egg pudding that came straight out of the sous vide setup. still, i have to say that you're not missing out on much. this recipe isn't better than the standard double boiler or saucepan technique, it's just different. i actually prefer the double boiler technique.

try this recipe from ideasinfood.com, it might work better for you:

isi Scrambled Eggs

506g whole eggs

113g sweet butter (same ratio as the MC guys)

85g skim milk (this is a touch less milk than the MC guys add)

6g salt (and a touch less salt than the MC guys add)

6g Crystal hot sauce

2 nitrous charges

Whisk all the ingredients together and place in a non-thermal isi canister. Close the lid and place the canister in a water bath set at 82 degrees C. Cook the eggs for one hour and then remove the canister. Let the canister rest for five minutes and then add two nitrous charges. Shake the canister vigorously between charges. Dispense the eggs into dishes and top and serve with just about anything. If the butter comes out first, stop dispensing and shake the canister some more to evenly mix the ingredients and allow for the nitrous to be dispersed.

this is my 2nd or 3rd edit as i research this issue further. i had the same problem as you and after a few attempts, i got it to pretty much work. i say "pretty much" because i'm still having issues getting the nitrous to evenly disperse throughout the egg mixture and it's causing egg to splatter everywhere as i dispense. i found that heating up the dispenser with hot water from the tap before adding the egg mix helps. also, i would recommend shaking the dispenser upside down vigorously, making sure to crowd all the egg mix at the very top of the dispenser. i'm still working out the kinks, though - some egg just doesn't want to come out...

if your eggs are too runny, you probably just need to cook them longer. the eggs have to barely set before you can put them in the dispenser. then puree with an immersion blender until it's like a thick pudding. it shouldn't be liquidy...then you just get an egg milkshake (learned that one the hard way).

anyway, i managed to harvest about half of the aerated egg mix out of the dispenser and it was lighter and creamier (air gives the illusion of creaminess) than the egg pudding that came straight out of the sous vide setup. still, i have to say that you're not missing out on much. this recipe isn't better than the standard double boiler or saucepan technique, it's just different. i actually prefer the double boiler technique.

try this recipe from ideasinfood.com, it might work better for you:

isi Scrambled Eggs

506g whole eggs

113g sweet butter (same ratio as the MC guys)

85g skim milk (this is a touch less milk than the MC guys add)

6g salt (and a touch less salt than the MC guys add)

6g Crystal hot sauce

2 nitrous charges

Whisk all the ingredients together and place in a non-thermal isi canister. Close the lid and place the canister in a water bath set at 82 degrees C. Cook the eggs for one hour and then remove the canister. Let the canister rest for five minutes and then add two nitrous charges. Shake the canister vigorously between charges. Dispense the eggs into dishes and top and serve with just about anything. If the butter comes out first, stop dispensing and shake the canister some more to evenly mix the ingredients and allow for the nitrous to be dispersed.

ok, since buying this book, i've become kind of egg-obsessed and i have to say that while i find many classical techniques to be inferior to their modern counterparts, i assert that eggs made in a more traditional style trump those found in this book. that's not to say that MC at Home isn't a fantastic resource in general, it's just that the egg recipes pretty much all let me down.

my point is that you're not missing out on much if you can't get these recipes to work.

additional opinions (if you care):

french-style scramble - saucepan method using only superlative eggs, salt, and air - bursting with umami, rich egg flavor, creamy, heavier than MC version (like a thick custard), small curds present, nice color

french-style scramble - MC method - light, completely smooth, creamy (not as much as the saucepan method despite the incorporated air), less egg flavor, less umami taste perceived, more like a very thick egg sauce, interesting in that you can use it to create interesting plating designs, less appealing color

traditional omelet - eggs, salt, air - stunning. light, creamy, tons of egg flavor and umami taste (must be cooked properly - gentle heat, take eggs off just before they set and serve immediately), nice color

MC steamed omelet - very airy, very easy to shape and fill, easy to work with, consistent results, less appealing color, less umami perceived, less egg flavor perceived, less creamy than traditional

all in all, i LOVE the traditional methods....go figure

ok, since buying this book, i've become kind of egg-obsessed and i have to say that while i find many classical techniques to be inferior to their modern counterparts, i assert that eggs made in a more traditional style trump those found in this book. that's not to say that MC at Home isn't a fantastic resource in general, it's just that the egg recipes pretty much all let me down.

my point is that you're not missing out on much if you can't get these recipes to work.

additional opinions (if you care):

french-style scramble - saucepan method using only superlative eggs, salt, and air - bursting with umami, rich egg flavor, creamy, heavier than MC version (like a thick custard), small curds present, nice color

french-style scramble - MC method - light, completely smooth, creamy (not as much as the saucepan method despite the incorporated air), less egg flavor, less umami taste perceived, more like a very thick egg sauce, interesting in that you can use it to create interesting plating designs, less appealing color

traditional omelet - eggs, salt, air - stunning. light, creamy, tons of egg flavor and umami taste (must be cooked properly - gentle heat, take eggs off just before they set and serve immediately), nice color

MC steamed omelet - very airy, very easy to shape and fill, easy to work with, consistent results, less appealing color, less umami perceived, less egg flavor perceived, less creamy than traditional

all in all, i LOVE the traditional methods....go figure