• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crispy and firm 'granulate' texture with e.g. beetroot

Hi,

I have searched but have not found any answers to a question I have had for some time, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

A while ago I was served a nice amuse, a duck liver mousse with small crispy granulates of beetroot. The granulates were irregular in their shape and about 1-2 mm in size. They were really firm and crispy and did not melt in the mouth like maltodextrin creations. According to the restaurant the crisps were made of beetroot juice, some kind of starch and then baked in the oven and finally crushed to granulates.

Any ideas how to make such granulates? I have tried normal household grade corn starch, but the granulates turned out not crispy enough and quite chewy, not the way I wanted them.

Would appreciate any help you can give me on this issue.

Regards,

Marcus