• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning used rotary evaporators

I'm looking at buying a used rotary evaporator, because the price for a new device is quite steep for a hobby device. Now I was wondering whether that's a bad idea, considering the fact that there's a good chance they have been used to extract highly volatile chemical substances in a lab.

Is this really as unsafe as I think? Is there a reliable way to clean the glassware of such a second hand rotavap? How do the lab guys do this, since I guess they don't want to mix their chemicals with those from previous experiments either?

thanks!

I used to work in an environmental lab and as much as I know cleaning the glassware thoroughly should be enough, I wouldn't trust a used rotovap. A good compromise may be to buy a used unit, then replace the glassware pieces that actually contact the food. Replacement glassware is always available as breakage is very common in lab environments and is much less expensive than the rotovap itself.

• 2 years later...

Ah yes - the valves and such were also new (it was an old evaporator.  

The pump was 'borrowed' from the hospital temporarily.  All new tubing to that.  

.........and........ you're......... alive !!!!

I am going to have to try this.

Just spoke a Buchi employee and gargling Ebola was said to be safer.

anything else Kerry?

Most days I'm alive!  

Can't think of anything else.  I am hoping that one day I'll find someone who wants mine - I haven't really been making a lot of use of it.  I should probably start asking around instead of assuming that someone will come to me!