• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Basic Budget Food Photography Set-up

I want to try and start taking some great food photos as I document what I cook (especially out of Modernist Cuisine). I was wondering if anyone have some good advice on what to buy and how to set up and light shots against a plain black and plain white background? I think that shots that Scott takes over at Seattlefoodgeek.com are excellent. Maybe someone can speculate on his set-up?

Hi Luke, I've got a rundown of the photo gear I use on Seattle Food Geek at http://seattlefoodgeek.com/photography/.

There are also links to a two-part series I did with Ryan Matthew Smith, the MC photographer, showing the setups he uses.

Behind the Scenes with Modernist Cuisine’s Food Photographer Part 1: Getting the Shot

Behind the Scenes with Modernist Cuisine’s Food Photographer Part 2: Photoshop Magic

The most important element for this type of photography is having the right light. Any type of off-camera flash is going to help you tremendously. I've been very happy with the AlienBees flashes as a relatively affordable solution.

Best of luck, Scott

Scott Heimendinger

Director of Applied Research for Modernist Cuisine

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...