• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

Also not to suggest that I was ever anything great in the kitchen, just talking about general life.

3 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Just a historical footnote here, a generation ago, if you wanted to work in a professional kitchen you used your right hand as the dominant one.  Culinary schools forced everyone to be right handed so that in close quarters on the line (often just 24" of counter space per person) no one would bump elbows. I know of one very famous pastry chef who did his apprenticeship in Switzerland as a teenager in the 1970s and was given a whipping every time he tried to use the left hand. Yes, that's right, hauled outside and whipped. He stuck with it and is essentially ambidextrous now but proudly uses his left hand.

wow, thanks for sharing that @Lisa Shock . I know that I was discouraged from being a southpaw even though I was a child of the 60's/70s. But not like that! 

FauxPas

FauxPas

Also not to suggest that I was ever anything great in the kitchen, just talking about general life.

44 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Just a historical footnote here, a generation ago, if you wanted to work in a professional kitchen you used your right hand as the dominant one.  Culinary schools forced everyone to be right handed so that in close quarters on the line (often just 24" of counter space per person) no one would bump elbows. I know of one very famous pastry chef who did his apprenticeship in Switzerland as a teenager in the 1970s and was given a whipping every time he tried to use the left hand. Yes, that's right, hauled outside and whipped. He stuck with it and is essentially ambidextrous now but proudly uses his left hand.

wow, thanks for sharing that @Lisa Shock . I know that I was discouraged from being a southpaw even though I was a child of the 60's. But not like that! 

FauxPas

FauxPas

42 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

wow, thanks for sharing that @Lisa Shock . I know that I was discouraged from being a southpaw even though I was a child of the 60's. But not like that!