• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring Cups for Liquid

weinoo

I have measuring cups and a scale, and I use them both. What can I say, belt and suspenders. The convenience of measuring cups, for me at least, is just because I grew up with volume measures. I know what a cup of flour looks like, I can visualize it. I'm not so good with grams. (I don't like to use ounces, not sure why. I think they're too imprecise, I might as well use the measuring cups.) The level of "seriousness" of the item I'm baking (it's usually baking, not cooking) will often determine what I'm using. I wouldn't even consider using volume measurements to make macarons, for example. But I'll use cups to make a basic cake. Spoon and level method. Also, I find if I use the same set of cup measures for a recipe, the "inaccuracies" are less relevant. The cup, 1/2 cup, etc. in a complete set are usually proportional to each other, even if they vary slightly from a different set. So I've never had a problem with this.

I have been using the following beakers and cups:

This small beaker set by OXO is very accurate and a wonderful tool for recipe development of liquids and spices:

PRO-1007889_Default_1_200x200.jpg?yocs=_

Chef'n Sleekster silicone measuring beakers are very accurate with multiple scales, have no meniscus problems, do not collapse and pinch for very small pours.

PRO-1197078_Default_1_200x200.jpg?yocs=_

Edited by tim (log)

B001BDLWE8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001BDLWE8&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20">The Perfect Beaker has gradations in pints, cups, fluid ounces, tablespoons, teaspoons and milliliters.  My kitchen scale says it's pretty accurate on the ml scale; I haven't doublechecked the other scales.  I love it for its fine gradations.  

Neither of those cups likes very hot liquids, which is why I also have the Pyrex.

Do wish the Perfect Beaker was a little more durable, but for measuring, its really good. My scale and the Beaker agree to about 1%