• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine from Water?

mgaretz

This just came across my screen.  A new device that makes a ready to drink bottle of wine in just three days.  

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014/03/33422-miracle-machine-wants-change-winemaking-industry-forever/

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.  (Wine from Water is a bit of marketing hype - it appears to take grape juice concentrate and other flavor components to simulate the aging process.)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

""  for $10 per month you will receive enough ingredients to make a bottle a week. ""

you can get that now at TJ's for 1.99.  ready to drink.

this cant be real.

Dont you think Gallo would be all over it ?

great find though ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

""  for $10 per month you will receive enough ingredients to make a bottle a week. ""

you can get that now at TJ's for 1.99.  ready to drink.

this cant be real.

Dont you think Gallo would be all over it ?

great find though ....

Yes, you can get wine at that price ($2.50 a bottle) ready to drink, but practicality has never been much of consideration in the DIY market.

I also don't doubt that it is real.  When I first starting drinking reds, we wouldn't even consider opening a bottle until it was at least 5 years old, with 8-10 years being the norm.  Now it's less than a year from grapes to bottle, even with premium wines.  Technology has changed this and will continue to do so.

(FYI, I once met the owner of the winery that makes Charles Shaw for TJs (and a ton of other low priced wines).  Their cost for the finished wine was 25 cents per GALLON.  The bottles cost more than the wine that's in them.)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

""  25 cents per GALLON.  The bottles cost more than the wine that's in them. ""

Ive always suspected this.  Im pretty low shelf, but thankfully TJ's keep the RS at the back of the store.

500 cases a week they sell

I can't comment on cheap wines available in the US, but experience would suggest 'ready to drink' may not be the appropriate term for a $2.50 bottle!

It's an interesting device, though.  They seem to be aiming for more of a quality product, albeit 'instant', than supermarket sludge.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Id love to hear from someone here that tries this.

$ 10 gets an OK bottle from TJ's

if this were 'OK +'  well ....

Remember it's $10 a month with a bottle a week - that's $2.50 a bottle.  

One of the downsides, unless you own bottling equipment, is that the wine will have to be drunk immediately as it will just be open to the air.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 4 weeks later...

Many years ago the wrestling coach at the high school had a farm that was once a dairy. He used one barn for his rodeo roping horses and the milking barn for hay storage. He rented the farm house to me and across the driveway was the old bottling plant which I turned into a pottery.  The house was on the Smoky Hill River and there were grape vines down the hill by the river.  I made about 20 to 30 gallons of wine a year. I used the basement because the cool temperature kept the secondary fermentation slow for better taste.  Without fermentation locks on the carboys, the wine would spoil or oxidize before the wine finished fermenting.  I had to measure sugar and acid content of the grape juice and balance it before primary fermentation or it would not produce enough alcohol to keep.  After fermentation it had to be clarified and bottled. 

I have no idea what kind of advances have been made since then but I have trouble imagining how there could be a finished bottle in such a short time.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)