• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai- or Asian-style Salmon Croquettes

Shel_B

This afternoon I tried something different being inspired by Thai or Asian ingredients to make salmon croquettes. This was a first batch, first try kind of thing, so the final recipe still needs work. However, the concept has promise.

I used fresh lime juice, lime zest, finely diced jalapeño, finely chopped green onion, Red Boat fish sauce, some Sriracha sauce, fresh ground black pepper, and a pinch of cayenne, and would have used some cilantro and lemon grass but I didn't have any handy. Mixed those ingredients into the salmon with beaten eggs and some panko bread crumbs.

First tastes were pretty good, but I feel I left out some key ingredient(s). Any thoughts on additional or other ingredients for this concoction?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

My initial reaction is that the sour (lime juice) belongs in the dipping sauce along with a sweet element. The traditional Thai fish cakes are made with a mild white fish, red curry paste, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, egg, and very finely sliced green or long beans. Panko or any bread strikes me as "off" - but - you are going more for a fusion style I imagine, and using a stronger fish. A green versus a red curry paste appeals to me with salmon. I have always found the lime zest too intrusive as a sub for kaffir lime leaves. At any rate I think the traditional cucumber sauce/relish would be lovely with salmon.