• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked tofu

BeeZee

I enjoy the firm texture of baked tofu, both hot and cold. I purchase extra firm tofu and if time allows, press to remove more liquid with a weighted plate on top. However, the last time I baked it (cut into reasonably small cubes) it probably took an hour to firm up and develop a nice "crust". Am I just not pressing enough liquid out of the block, or does it really just take that long to bake the moisture out?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

It just takes a long time to bake. I'm lucky that a local Asian supermarket carries some already baked tofu in the cold case. I don't recall the brand name, I'm currently out, but it's from California and comes plain and soy-sauce marinated. I'll take a picture next I get some.

I have used the freezer trick in the past when I wanted to make a "crumbled" texture tofu, might try that next time to see how it bakes. I like being able to season the cubes to my taste (prepared products tend to lean hard on soy sauce and can be salty), but will check out the Asian Supermarket near my office next time I have time.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde