• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gibelotte with baby sweet peppers

ElainaA

I just finished reading Provence 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard and the Reinvention of American Taste. The very last meal described features lapin en Gibelotte for which they purchase " Two rabbits, mushrooms and handfuls of tiny red, yellow and orange peppers". This caught my attention as I have half a bag of those very peppers in my refrigerator waiting for inspiration. However, searching the internet, I can not find any recipe for gibelotte that includes peppers. Does any one have such a recipe? I would really like to try making this dish although, given the scarcity of rabbit in upstate NY supermarkets I may substitute chicken or veal. (Unless Fanny the Lab catches one of the multitude in my back yard - and then there is the parasite problem.)

Elaina

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@Plantes Vetes: Thanks. I think the first recipe, with some added mushrooms, is pretty much what I am looking for based on the description in the book.

I'm not sure I can find rabbit here. Some on-line sires recommend substituting veal; I was thinking chicken.

Elaina

Edited by ElainaA (log)

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina