• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

what I consider a gentle simmer is bubbles just barely breaking the surface. My instant read was at 204 °.

That was the temperature of gentle simmer for me. I make cottage cheese every week and the directions are for it to come almost to simmer and just as bubbles start to break on the surface the temperature is at 197°.

I don't know if it is just my imagination but to me, the viscosity of the liquid seems to affect the temperature at which it maintains a simmer.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

what I consider a gentle simmer is bubbles just barely breaking the surface. My instant read was at 204 °.

That was the temperature of gentle simmer for me. I need cottage cheese every week and the directions are for it to come almost to simmer and just as bubbles start to break on the surface the temperature is at 197°.

I don't know if it is just my imagination but to me, the viscosity of the liquid seems to affect the temperature at which it maintains a simmer.