• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

I made a pineapple upside down cake (my favorite cake) a few days ago.  A couple of things went wrong.

This time I used a CI recipe which calls for fresh pineapple.  I didn't cook the pineapple long enough so it didn't soften sufficiently.  But the big disaster happened when after baking I tried to invert the cake onto my plate.

I had used my small cast iron skillet.  As directed I let the cake cool for ten minutes on a rack. 

When I tried to turn the cake over the pan was still very, very hot.  I used my big oven mitts which are a little clumsy and lost control of the pan and the cake.  The cake landed halfway onto the plate, then onto the counter where it broke into pieces, much cursing ensued..  Oy.  What a wreck.  I pieced it together as best I could but it certainly is not company-worthy.  

However, since I really make this so I can eat it for breakfast, it's not too big a deal.  But, you know what?  We still eat with our eyes.

Oh yes, I will make this again.  I will still use the cast iron pan but will let it cool a bit longer and use a kitchen towel instead of mitts.  And I'll use canned pineapple rings. 

lindag

lindag

I made a pineapple upside down cake (my favorite cake) a few days ago.  A couple of things went wrong.

This time I used a CI recipe which calls for fresh pineapple.  I didn't cook the pineapple long enough so it didn't soften sufficiently.  But the big disaster happened when after baking I tried to invert the cake onto my plate.

I had used my small cast iron skillet.  As directed I let the cake cool for ten minutes on a rack. 

When I tried to turn the cake over the pan was still very, very hot.  I used my big oven mitts which are a little clumsy and lost control of the pan and the cake.  The cake landed halfway onto the plate, then onto the counter where it broke into pieces.  Oy.  What a wreck.  I pieced it together as best I could but it certainly is not company-worthy.  

However, since I really make this so I can eat it for breakfast, it's not too big a deal.  But, you know what?  We still eat with our eyes.

Oh yes, I will make this again.  I will still use the cast iron pan but will let it cool a bit longer and use a kitchen towel instead of mitts.  And I'll use canned pineapple rings.