• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta in Food Processor and/or Kitchen Aid

weinoo

I've hurt my shoulder (torn labrum and detached biceps tendon - surgery is scheduled) so kneading is out of the question. But before I got the diagnosis, and ever since we got back from Italy, I've been wanting to make fresh pasta.

I have the pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aid, so I'm thinking the rolling part shouldn't be that difficult.

Does anyone make the dough with a food processor or the Kitchen Aid? By make the dough, I mean the part of mixing the eggs and flour prior to rolling.

Care to share technique and recipes?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yes, I make pasta dough in the food processor and/or KA mixer. Processor is easier for smaller amounts, and it takes less time. KA is better for bigger batches (my processor isn't very large). I usually do about 85 g flour per egg, and sometimes I'll add an extra yolk for richness. LIghtly beat the eggs, then combine with the flour in either the mixer or processor.....mix until cohesive and smooth. In the processor, this will happen VERY quickly.

After mxing, I let the dough rest, covered, for about 20-30 minutes before dividing and rolling. I find that a 60 g or smaller portion is easiest to handle while rolling. Larger amounts result in too-long strips of dough.

ETA photo of carbonara w/homemade noodles: http://bouillie.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/p7292336.jpg

Edited by HungryC (log)

Yes I do the dough in the KA. I use a 50/50 mix of whole wheat durum (golden temple brand from the Indian grocery) and regular flour (100 grams total, so 50 of each) and one extra large egg. Mix with the standard beater on low until there are no more crumbs in the bottom of the bowl. The dough will be very dry. Roll into a log and cut in four sections and then roll out with the pasta roller attachment. You don't need to dust it while rolling or cutting, but I will dust it as I stack up the cut noodles.

Edited to add that I flatten each section into a disk and feed through the rollers on 1. Fold it once (end to end) and put though again. Keep repeating until the width grows to about the width of the rollers. Then feed once through at each higher number until you get the thickness you want. I usually stop after 5.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Just a note of caution: we've overburdened our KA mixer's kneading hook with too much pasta dough, which is, of course, far more dense than bread dough. There's one machine in the house that screeches its way through pasta and nothing else as a result; the other KA is reserved for, well, everything else.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

FWIW, about 8 years ago, when my RA got so bad, I too, couldn't knead dough, I started using my puny, 5-quart KA to make my pierogi dough, which is essentially an egg pasta, each year. Granted, it's a small batch of dough (2C flour, 2 eggs, appropriate water to bind), but it works great. And this is NOT one of the monster, mega-HP lift-bowl KAs, but as I said, a puny 4&1/2-5 quart tilt-head.

It powers through it just fine. I don't run it too fast, and I do finish up the kneading by hand (as best I can), once it's come together nicely in the mixer. But I haven't noticed it laboring particularly. I use the paddle to get it started, then switch to the hook to work it for about 2-3 minutes. Turn out, rest with the bowl covering, then work it by hand for another 2-3 minutes. Rest another 10-20 minutes before rolling, cutting and filling.

It saved my rep as a pierogi maker.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"